What are your NYE plans?

Old 12-31-2013, 08:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What are your NYE plans?

I'm just wondering what everyone is up to tonight to celebrate the new year?

I've never really gotten into this as a holiday...and last year was an epic fail. I have to work today, then home to spend the evening with RAH and the pups. I'm thinking about picking up food from one of our favorite restaurants & a cheesecake...maybe play a little scrabble & watch some shows on the DVR. I'm all about peace & calm as the new year begins.

Old 12-31-2013, 08:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

We are hosting the party (for about 25 folks) that we have hosted every year for about six years. We're reknown for our low-key type affair -- definitely not as the place to go if you want to get trashed. Most of our guests head home around 12:30, and we are usually in bed by 1:00!

This year we are making cheese, chocolate, and caramel fondue in our little slow cooker buffet. Wish us luck!

To all of you out there struggling these days, many hugs from me. Remember to keep holiday expectations low and to do something nice for yourself if you can.
Old 12-31-2013, 08:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

This will be the first year since I was 16 that I won't have someone to kiss. Which is frivolous, I know, but it makes me sad. I'll be putting my kiddies to bed at their regular time and then watching a funny movie and having a glass of champagne. Doubt I'll make it to midnight, my youngest has been waking up at 5am recently, makes for loooooong days.
Old 12-31-2013, 08:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

We are attending family night at my sister in laws church. Potluck and board games. It will be fun and an early night. This holiday has never mattered much to me I guess.

I wish you all a peaceful and fun evening!
Old 12-31-2013, 09:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi, I'm at home with husband and cat, contemplating having an Indian meal, delivered, a leaflet just dropped through our door, Or just plain eat choccies and sweeties.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Cash funds have been depleted (necessary but unplanned expenses yesterday) so it will be low-key here. Which is fine. I like it that way anymore. And the weather forecast isn't good for tonight (freezing rain and snow) so staying safe at home is a priority knowing there will be drunks driving on slick roads.

Inexpensive homemade dinner and appetizers. Probably some sparkling cider for midnight. Games and favorite movies, watching the ball drop on TV. Cozy, warm, family. I like it that way.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm going to my best friend's house to spend with her and her family. Her husband and kids are a riot, and so is she. We always, always find something to laugh about. Looking forward to giving the kids their Christmas presents too.

We were talking and both of us have always preferred to stay in on New Years. I lived in San Francisco way back when and she visited for New Years 1999. We realized that 1999 was FOURTEEN years ago! How the time flies. We've been friends since we were 17. She is my rock and I don't know what I'd do without her. I'm so grateful to have loving friends and family, and my SR family too!

Have a safe and happy new year!
Old 12-31-2013, 09:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

We're going to a kid-friendly neighborhood party. Games, snacks, etc. We also have a friend in from out of town who will be staying at our house. Most of us will not be drinking but I'm sure AH & his crew will be. Regardless, I plan to have an enjoyable evening with my friends & family.

DS15 will be staying alone at my parents. Probably playing xbox live. I will take him plenty of snacks and a treat for dinner. His brother will probably hang out with him for a while.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Staying home with the family or a nice quiet night..
Old 12-31-2013, 10:10 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Was supposed to be at a wedding today,its an irish wedding so they are usually a two day affair,i cancelled hotel a few months back,when I realised my then partner was not going to be working and drinking was his only past time,he is now in rehab,i have just had a shower and snuggled up on sofa in my housecoat,less than 6 hours to midnight,i reckon I will be in bed.
Hope everyone has a peaceful 2014
Old 12-31-2013, 10:12 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It's below zero here, so we are staying put as a family. Looking forward to the new year-there is room for improvement Enjoying the idea of a "new" year and a new beginning. Saw my therapist this morning for the 2nd time since all this hit me 2 months ago, and decided I'm going to start attending a mindfullness group in a couple weeks. Hubby went to AA this morning and met with his sponsor for the 3rd time. Going to clear out our storage room and hubby's "man cave", as he clears out his old "bottle collection" and set up a new gym and meditation area this afternoon-my favorite Christmas gift was one I bought for myself-framed prints of a favorite writers 3 mantras which I have adopted for myself and will hang on the wall: "We belong to each other" (all of us-humankind), "Love wins" (I've been trying to behave more giving and lovingly in the world), & "We can do hard things" (I remind myself of this one 10x per day!), and these will be going on the wall in the new space. Let the kids pick out a bunch of frozen appetizers, and I will make a favorite spinach dip. Have an evening of games, appetizers, and fun planned. Will ring in "early new year" with the kids, and maybe the 2 of us will stay up until midnight to ring in the new year. We'll see... Looking forward to it.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:33 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My girls are with their dad for this holiday, so it's just me and my little guy. (AH returned to his job out of state on Sunday, and will not be making the trip back here for this holiday). The little guy and I will probably watch whatever it is that he wants to watch (Incredible Hulk, lately), eat whatever it is that he wants to eat (fish sticks, lately, although I might splurge and pick up a small steak for myself), and be in bed by 10. We are slated to get some bad weather tonight and tomorrow.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:37 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

My sister is dropping her kids off before working a short shift, she'll be back in plenty of time for midnight. My best friend, her AH (who is currently dry & totally white knuckling, but not my monkey......) & DD will drop in, likely the guys will sit around with their acoustic guitars and play while the kids watch movies and play games. RAH will likely invite his 2 single band mates to come & jam if they are home without plans. I made dips - 7 layer, taco/queso, chicken buffalo, spinach dip, with an assortment of crackers and tortilla chips. Mom may drop in, but won't make midnight.

We've never gone out on NYE unless RAH had a gig scheduled, it's too insane & scary with everyone out drinking excessively.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:46 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

FireSprite...mmmmm...taco dip!

Old 12-31-2013, 10:54 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I know, right? Yum, it's DD's fave. I also hit a killer deal on pre-packaged apps at BJ's. Bacon wrapped tenderloin, Wellingtons in puff pastry, quiche. I made small, 4" round layered cakes for the kids and tons of cookies! Chocolate chip, no bake oatmeal, puppy chow, lemon white chocolate, peanut butter balls, oreo balls! I can't wait!
Old 12-31-2013, 11:02 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

FS....I want to come to your house! Hope you all enjoy...sounds yummy!

Originally Posted by FireSprite View Post
I know, right? Yum, it's DD's fave. I also hit a killer deal on pre-packaged apps at BJ's. Bacon wrapped tenderloin, Wellingtons in puff pastry, quiche. I made small, 4" round layered cakes for the kids and tons of cookies! Chocolate chip, no bake oatmeal, puppy chow, lemon white chocolate, peanut butter balls, oreo balls! I can't wait!
Old 12-31-2013, 11:05 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Ok I give up....puppy chow ???
Old 12-31-2013, 11:11 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I am working the evening shift at the shelter and my main plan is to walk home without getting hit by a drunk driver or catch a stray bullet from someone who is "celebrating". Once home if I am not too tired (got started at 4 am) I'll sit on the front porch with a cup of hot cocoa and watch the fireworks.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:26 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jessicajoe View Post
Ok I give up....puppy chow ???
It's rice cereal coated first with a mix of melted chocolate and peanut butter, then tossed in powdered sugar. The kids think it's awesome, we used a mix of rice chex rice krispies this year so they made chunky, oversized pieces.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:50 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Early sushi dinner, then going to see a movie. Should be home and tucked in by 10pm!!!