Ugh

Old 12-21-2013, 09:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ugh

I'm at my dads home in Missouri. I find myself really tired from a long, stressful, lonely road trip. Had a hard time keeping my eyes open and enjoying my family once I arrived. There was a lot of freezing rain--actually, freezing rain the entire 6 or so hour drive. Can't trust H to drive, not to mention he doesn't have a valid license. His last DUI was here in this state. Most of the trip was awkward silence tho I don't know if he felt the same. I just loaded songs and sang the whole way to ease all the tension I felt.
I'm having a hard time connecting w/him. He's sober--for now. When he is he seems "normal", but I find myself almost loathing his presence. He sits w/my family and talks w/them..even more than I do. They don't know what I know. They think he's the best thing since sliced bread. He talks a good game. It really pisses me off. I found myself just being angry at him as I listened to all his jovial stories w/my family. Grrr
Someone posted feeling like they are a widow..I've felt that way for years. He's never helped w/the kids, not on anything major. He's a good time Charlie always leaving me to shovel life's muck. I could have been a single mom--no, I HAVE been a single mom.
Just venting..feeling angry an boo-hooey w/no place to share it.
Old 12-21-2013, 09:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm very sorry this is what has happened to you.
Old 12-21-2013, 09:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Bunnies!

I always said my AM had Proud Peacock Syndrome: showing up golden in public and acting like she and her family are perfect-- Joking, telling stories, being a completely narcissistic b****. Everyone outside the immeidate family LOVES her. They think she's amazing, and always tell me so. Even 3,000 miles away from home, I still run into people who know her (Navy Medicine is a small world) and tell me how wonderful she was when they worked together. My feelings about all this? They don't know what I know, and sometimes it makes me nauseous. Hopefully you will get through the rest of this trip without too much trouble. (((HUGS)))
Old 12-22-2013, 12:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah, that's pretty much how my AH is too. That's why when I told a few people what was really going on, they went back to him to fact check, he told them *I* was lying...and they believed him.

My mom still tells me that he'll get better and I should be supportive. His mom called me and told me that she hopes her son divorces me. His brother told me that AH needs all of the support he can get right now...and he's an expert because he had an alcoholic friend before. And our friends have basically ignored me because its an awkward situation.

Apparently being charming and outgoing trumps the truth. If only any of them had to live with him.

Anyway, you're not alone. Does your AH recognize that he has an issue with alcohol?
Old 12-22-2013, 01:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You can always share here and we will always be happy you did.

Hope you find some joy this holiday season.
Old 12-22-2013, 02:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My brother is the same. Always Mr Personality in public. Talks a good talk. Social engaging guy in public. Everyone loves him. He has made my parents life a living hell. It used to make me angry, now I'm just sad for him. I know the truth about his life. I know how empty it is. I believe when he's putting on his game face, he knows it. All I can do is pray for him.
Old 12-22-2013, 05:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Everything I've heard him say yesterday, today..is a fairy tale. I can't look at him when he starts speaking the fairy tale.
My family, and esp his family, would be shocked. I just don't know that it's my place to tell them.
Old 12-22-2013, 07:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sending hugs & wishing you peace. Stay focused on YOU, and all of the good, positive things in your life. Even at our lowest moment, there's always something positive to be grateful for...it will help you through it. You're stronger than you know.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stung View Post
Yeah, that's pretty much how my AH is too. That's why when I told a few people what was really going on, they went back to him to fact check, he told them *I* was lying...and they believed him.

My mom still tells me that he'll get better and I should be supportive. His mom called me and told me that she hopes her son divorces me. His brother told me that AH needs all of the support he can get right now...and he's an expert because he had an alcoholic friend before. And our friends have basically ignored me because its an awkward situation.

Apparently being charming and outgoing trumps the truth. If only any of them had to live with him.

Anyway, you're not alone. Does your AH recognize that he has an issue with alcohol?
Ya know, in one breath he says he does know he has a problem, but then his actions, attitude & conversation says something different. An example would be him saying that after the holidays he will seek help, but then blame everything other than himself for the last DUI. But I know it doesn't matter..I just have to take care of me & the boys and I know this. He just rubs me the wrong way, makes me feel very lonely & flat out angry at times.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Katchie View Post
My family, and esp his family, would be shocked. I just don't know that it's my place to tell them.
Katchie, where do you go for support (besides SR) for your situation? Specifically, do you have anyone in your life that knows about your AH that you can reach out to?

I've read it many times & experienced it myself...the other people in our lives know something is going on even though they may not say anything to us about it. Telling my family & a few close friends provided me with a wonderful sense of relief and tremendous support. I could not have gotten through the past year or so without them. They also have provided another layer of accountability for my own actions.

The advice I was given by my counselor (and I believe it is spot on) is that I can tell my support network about my situation, it was up to RAH to tell his support network. I didn't tell his brother (only close family of RAH) or his friends what was happening. It can be hard to say how the A's support will react. Your support should be just that - supportive. You can be selective about who you tell, consider it carefully, but I do urge you to have someone IRL that you can talk to.

Sending you hugs & strength to get through the holidays.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CarryOn View Post

Katchie, where do you go for support (besides SR) for your situation? Specifically, do you have anyone in your life that knows about your AH that you can reach out to?

I've read it many times & experienced it myself...the other people in our lives know something is going on even though they may not say anything to us about it. Telling my family & a few close friends provided me with a wonderful sense of relief and tremendous support. I could not have gotten through the past year or so without them. They also have provided another layer of accountability for my own actions.

The advice I was given by my counselor (and I believe it is spot on) is that I can tell my support network about my situation, it was up to RAH to tell his support network. I didn't tell his brother (only close family of RAH) or his friends what was happening. It can be hard to say how the A's support will react. Your support should be just that - supportive. You can be selective about who you tell, consider it carefully, but I do urge you to have someone IRL that you can talk to.

Sending you hugs & strength to get through the holidays.
I haven't been to alanon as regularly as I should, but my sister knows along w/a close friend. Both of these women have experienced loved ones in their lives who were/are addicts. I've openly talked to them about my situation seldom just because I don't want them bogged down in my swamp.
Thank you for your encouragement
Old 12-22-2013, 10:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm so glad that you do have a few people to reach out to!

I've found that my friends (especially) & family do want to know how things are going. If I need to talk, I tell them that I could really use their ear for a while and discuss what I need to talk about. If I don't need to talk, but they ask, I give them the latest goings-on, how I'm feeling, and what I'm doing about it. I try to be as honest & factual as possible. Sometimes we don't talk about it. Regardless, I always try to make sure it does not dominate all our time (because that doesn't make me feel better and therefore doesn't help my recovery!), and make sure to ask about them & what they are up to. I have asked my friends & family to continue sharing all their highs & lows with me. One of the best things I have gotten from AlAnon is living in the moment - I am so present when I am with them now and I really love it.
Old 12-23-2013, 04:34 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CarryOn View Post
I'm so glad that you do have a few people to reach out to!

I've found that my friends (especially) & family do want to know how things are going. If I need to talk, I tell them that I could really use their ear for a while and discuss what I need to talk about. If I don't need to talk, but they ask, I give them the latest goings-on, how I'm feeling, and what I'm doing about it. I try to be as honest & factual as possible. Sometimes we don't talk about it. Regardless, I always try to make sure it does not dominate all our time (because that doesn't make me feel better and therefore doesn't help my recovery!), and make sure to ask about them & what they are up to. I have asked my friends & family to continue sharing all their highs & lows with me. One of the best things I have gotten from AlAnon is living in the moment - I am so present when I am with them now and I really love it.
Your input has been very helpful, thank you!
Old 12-23-2013, 08:16 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I know you don't feel it's your place to tell them, but it is. It is YOUR life too. And you will be amazed at how much better you feel once you do. Don't keep his secrets anymore. Let it out and start to take your life back.