Sponsors and Al-Anon

Old 12-18-2013, 03:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sponsors and Al-Anon

I get the impression that they're not as "urgent" as they are in AA?

I feel like, for me anyway, getting a sponsor is going to take some time. Is that typical?

It's not that I'm picky, I'm just slow at getting to know other people, and with it being the holidays and all, everybody is so busy, myself included.
Old 12-18-2013, 06:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Engineer Things; LOVE People

Getting Well can take as long as you like.

Trust me, that was not snarky. No one can get through this slower than me.,

But really -- Getting Well can take as long as you like.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have the same impression choublack. People seem to get a sponsor at around the six month mark at the groups I go to. Some earlier, some later, but generally not right away.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I imagine in AA it's a little different, because for some it is a matter of life and death.
Old 12-19-2013, 04:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It took me a while to get a sponsor because, like you, it takes me time to get to know people and it took me a long time to trust my group, plus working up the courage to ask once I'd decided on someone I wanted to ask.

Its definitely not as urgent as in AA, I think AlAnon is a more gentle program in many respects, you can take your own time to get there how ever you want to get there. Just getting my head around the idea of the program took a while and then it took even longer before I really felt the need to start really working the program. Listening and sharing was enough to start with, then there came I point when I needed more in order to move forward.
Old 12-19-2013, 07:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

How fast do you want to recover? As an Al Anon, I didn't view my behavior as being life or death, but I did want to change.....

The steps help me to change. Priceless!
Old 12-19-2013, 08:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I attended AlAnon for almost 3 years. Never got a sponsor or formally worked the steps. I did most of that type of work here on SR.

I did get huge amounts of benefit by attending though. It was my sanctuary, my family and my group therapy rolled into one.

Since I've moved I just haven't put much effort into finding a new group and at this point thats OK. I still have SR and my meditation practice.

So, I guess what I am saying is use the program the way it helps you the best.

Your friend,
Old 12-20-2013, 12:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Also remember that many Al Anon members (in my experience anyway) are spouses/partners and still living with an active A or a dry drunk. Those people are pretty bloody busy! More-so if they have kids.