municipal court more lenient?

Old 11-27-2013, 10:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

municipal court more lenient?

My AH has now went from felony harrassment/assault charges (against me) in Superior court, to district court, and now it is being sent over to our small municipal court. I am worried that municipal court is more "lenient". Does any have any input on this? Is there a chance he could still get significant jail time? I feel like I am drowning in this system. Thank you all so much! Oh this is WA state....
Old 11-27-2013, 11:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I did some research for you. For this to be considered a felony, it would have to meet definition of class A, class B, or class C offense. It appears that there wasn't enough to hold him on those charges. Thats probably why they sent it to the municipal court.

Remember, I am not an attorney, and I could be totally wrong.

My case was heard in municipal court. There is a possibility of jail time, or community service, but not likely. If alcohol was involved the judge may mandate alcohol treatment, may also mandate a batterers program. My ex had to complete both of those, he did not receive a fine, and he did not receive any jail time.

Also in my case, the case remained opened, my ex was never charged and convicted, and the case was dismissed after he completed the programs.

Best to call DV and get info from them about this. They know the county you live in, and they know the judges, and they can more easily tell you what to expect.

((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))
Old 11-28-2013, 05:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't know your court system so all I can say is contact the DV people. In my jurisdiction municipal violations can be depending on the class assigned to the crime. The most severe are punishable by up to 364 days in jail.
Old 11-28-2013, 05:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I was distracted while typing. Sentencing for misdemeanors can go up to 364 days in jail.
Old 11-28-2013, 06:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

:yeahthat to Ruby. Call the city prosecutor - they should contact you as the victim but they're always overworked... Tell them you want a no contact order as part of the judgment. You can't minimize what he did when you talk to them. Tell them you are afraid of him.

A Domestic Violence agency may have an advocate who can help you with all of this. You don't have to go it alone.
Old 11-28-2013, 06:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I just looked on the jail roster that was updated about 30 minutes ago, and his name is still there?! I was told he was getting out last night! Maybe they saw him as a flee threat, as well. Hopefully the phone line will be open this Holiday. Thanks you guys. I don't know why I thought maybe municipal court would nt be able to charge him as harshly. Probably due to never being in one for something.

Your right lillamy!! I can not go easy on him. I need to hand over my photos ( even if I am second guessing how "bad" they are). Also, the urgent care report. Kinda scary to catch myself missing him, and then its time to take another pain med than I snapped out of that quickly.

Happy Thanksgiving you guys! Thankful for you!
Old 11-28-2013, 06:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Oh and it is a class v assault-dv