What AB claims will help his recovery

Old 09-17-2013, 04:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question What AB claims will help his recovery

Question - AB who has been separated from his wife for almost a year claims that he's being told by members in his AA group and by his one on one counselor that he and his wife having regular communication would help his recovery - what's the possibility there is truth to that?
Side note - there is "no contact" condition in place as there were some legal issues. I feel I know what some responses might be however it helps alot to get thoughts from those of you who have been traveling this road a greater distance on SR than I have.
Thank you friends!
Old 09-17-2013, 05:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That doesn't sound like AA advice. If there's a no contact order, then he can't contact her.

From step 9: "Step 9 - Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others"

This doesn't sound like what he's doing.

I once had my sponsor tell me, "How do you know when an alcoholic is lying? His mouth is moving."

Trying to repair current relationships is recovery. Trying to rekindle old ones is infidelity.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Puzzling to me is when I was separated from my RAH we were planning to get back together after he had some recovery under his belt. We were separated not divorced so having a GF wouldn't make sense to me.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

This sounds like you could have written it about my stbxah! We have been living apart since last December, I have a protective order in place so he isn't supposed to contact me, and he has a new fling of the week....

Things to keep in mind...
If he is truly serious about recovery, he wouldn't be relationship hopping.
If his relationship with his wife were over for him, she would be an ex-wife.
His wife has a no-contact order for a reason.
Alcoholics are master manipulators and liars.

Sadly, it sounds like he is using you until he can get his wife back. Sorry for the bluntness.

Reread your post and look for red flags.... ALCOHOLIC BOYFRIENDS WIFE, NO CONTACT ORDER

Have more respect for yourself than this!
Old 09-17-2013, 07:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dancingnow View Post
Puzzling to me is when I was separated from my RAH we were planning to get back together after he had some recovery under his belt. We were separated not divorced so having a GF wouldn't make sense to me.
I might be totally wrong - but I read the OP's reference to AB as her Alcoholic Brother, not boyfriend.

I also agree - his recovery isn't dependent on his wife, her forgiveness or her compliance to his program. He's blowing smoke, IMO.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It sounds like your brother is looking for a way to justify contacting someone who doesn’t want him contacting her.

I can’t imagine anyone in AA or a counselor suggesting breaking a no contact court order.

Doesn’t sound like a whole lot of truth soullight, sorry.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

oops, sorry!
Old 09-17-2013, 07:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks all... let me clarify I am the sister not the GF of my alcoholic brother... appreciate your passion though TryingToLetGo!
Old 09-17-2013, 07:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

One thing in recovery that we all learn is about boundaries.

About respecting our boundaries and respecting others' boundaries.

Just my thoughts ~ if a person is interested in keeping peace, harmony, sobriety and recovery as their focus ~ my thoughts would be that respect of others' boundaries would be one of the things they would be trying to do.

If someone has a no contact order - to me that would be a boundary that deserves respect. Most of the people that I know in active recovery would honor that boundary.

Also - I have heard many experienced AA members use this when newcomers say I can't do this without my spouse:

"Some of us have taken very hard knocks to learn this truth: Job or no job-wife or no wife-we simply do not stop drinking so long as we place dependence upon other people ahead of dependence on God. Burn the idea into the consciousness of every man that he can get well regardless of anyone. The only condition is that he trust God and clean house." Big Book of AA pg 98

Just as any of us "codies" can get well regardless of the actions of our loved ones - we just have to work our own program.

just my e, s, & h ~ best wishes to you & your loved one

pink hugs!
Old 09-17-2013, 07:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It occurs to me that it's also possible that your brother has not told his counselor or his recovery buddies that a no contact order even exists. Also possible: they are talking with him in very general ways about making amends, and he is INTERPRETING those comments in a way that says "contact your wife, despite a no contact order."

I cannot believe a thoughtful recovery group, or a thoughtful counselor, would EVER suggest that an addict, even a recovering addict, violate a court order. Your brother could go to jail for violating the order.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

OOPS! Thats what I get for reading forums at work after being up all night with 2 babies

If your brother starts dating someone, please show her my post...otherwise, disregard!
Old 09-17-2013, 08:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I've never been in AA but that sounds like fishy advice to me.
Here's how the reasoning would have gone if your brother is anything like the As I know:

"I need to be able to communicate with my ex-wife in order to explain to her why I had to drink. That's important for my recovery. Since I can't have that, since the courts are preventing me from having that, I won't be able to recover. Where's the bar?"
Old 09-17-2013, 08:51 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Our acronyms can confuse folks!

What would it take for him to initiate contact legally? A letter through attorney's? I would definitely advise not to just call out of the blue or show up on the front porch. I do like the idea of a letter funneled through legal teams, so it gives the wife the power to decide if she wants to respond or not.

I can see why his sponsor and therapist would want him to make some sort of amends, and maybe it bothers him to have something hanging in limbo?

Anyway - just my humble 2 cents...
Old 09-17-2013, 09:39 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lillamy View Post
I've never been in AA but that sounds like fishy advice to me.
Here's how the reasoning would have gone if your brother is anything like the As I know:

"I need to be able to communicate with my ex-wife in order to explain to her why I had to drink. That's important for my recovery. Since I can't have that, since the courts are preventing me from having that, I won't be able to recover. Where's the bar?"
ugh^^^hate to say it, but this resonates with me, SoulLight.

Things *might* be different as far as communication between them goes if it weren't for that pesky NO CONTACT ORDER.

There must be very good reasons that is in place, and I agree that any violation of that is most likely boundary-pushing behavior from someone who is not really working an honest recovery program.

But you know your brother better than we do...what's your take?
Old 09-17-2013, 11:18 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I can’t imagine anyone in AA or a counselor suggesting breaking a no contact court order.
Me either. This sounds like magical thinking, or quack-quack-quacking.
Old 09-17-2013, 12:08 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I looked back at your old posts, I recalled one about your brother wanting contacting with his wife. Yep, aug 28th you mentioned his desire to talk to his wife to help his recovery.

Your brother needs to let go of his need to talk to his wife and focus on real recovery. I do not believe for one minute that anyone in AA is telling him to violate a NC order. I think he's trying a new avenue to get what he wants, and isn't respecting what his wife wants.

SHE will decide if and when she wants contact. In the meantime, HE needs to stay focused on recovery. He needs to respect that he obviously caused damage. Someone already posted about Step 9, and they're right. It would harm his wife at this point, so his needs are selfish and not healthy.

Quack...Quack...Quack
Old 09-17-2013, 12:25 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
box of chocolates

Originally Posted by DragynLady View Post
That doesn't sound like AA advice. If there's a no contact order, then he can't contact her.

From step 9: "Step 9 - Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others"

This doesn't sound like what he's doing.

I once had my sponsor tell me, "How do you know when an alcoholic is lying? His mouth is moving."

Trying to repair current relationships is recovery. Trying to rekindle old ones is infidelity.

Sounds like hes only hearing what he wants to hear.
Example step 9....perhaps hes only telling aa folks half truths also....minus prorective order.
He obviously WANTS to talk to her on a regular basis. Theres no readon too. Thats clearly made up . If aa said anything it was in relation to step 9
Old 09-17-2013, 01:27 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Question - AB who has been separated from his wife for almost a year claims that he's being told by members in his AA group and by his one on one counselor that he and his wife having regular communication would help his recovery - what's the possibility there is truth to that?
Zero.

Reminds me of back when my parents were still married, and my dad was cheating on my mom, and his counselor told him he and his mistress should "remain friends".
Old 09-17-2013, 09:21 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoulLight View Post
Side note - there is "no contact" condition in place as there were some legal issues. I feel I know what some responses might be however it helps alot to get thoughts from those of you who have been traveling this road a greater distance on SR than I have.
Thank you friends!
I have no idea about the AA suggestions because my husband and I didn't use that method; but when he was in rehab, they had us start marriage counseling about half way through a 3 month program for opiates. The counselors did feel it was important part of his recovery because for my husband at his stage of addiction - most of the damage done in his life (other than to his own self of course) was to our relationship. He didn't have legal trouble, or loss of a job etc. So yes... doing sessions together and working out our issues he says was healing for him.

Now I don't think anyone would ever suggest your AB break a "no contact" order, but I suspect they are not saying he should. but rather it would help him if it didn't exist and they could work on things. Something along the lines of what my husband experienced. I don't think simply "talking" would fix things if there was a lot that happened. You really need a mediator, and to look at things with new eyes during the process. Just wanted to share what we had been through.