Husband may lose his job..

Old 08-28-2013, 01:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Husband may lose his job..

I'm concerned that my husband is about to lose his job. I am also an alcoholic, and have been trying so hard to quit. I am seeing us both sink to the bottom. I will do well holding off drinking for about a week, but then I give in and we both will binge for a night. Every time, these binges seem to get worse and he will sleep in and not even care about not showing up for work. (He works from home, which makes this much easier). He will make up some dumb excuse if they ask what's going on. The past 2 times this has happened, which have been on a weekly basis, noone has even inquired about why he started work so late. For me, this is a red flag. Last night we went to a friends birthday party and managed to moderate our drinking. When we came home we tore through a 12 pack and stayed up until 5am, with no regard for what would happen today. This is my rock bottom. I am so afraid of what might happen if I keep it up. Right now, it is almost 4PM and my husband is asleep and has yet to show up at work today. He has gotten 3 phone calls, one being a message from a manager calling to "see how you're doing today". He knows all of this and could care less. He doesn't think they will ever let him go because he is the only one who can do his job, (He is a computer programmer and involved in a number of projects, which he says would never be able to be taken over by someone else). I think his boss is fed up and is probably actively seeking his replacement. The worst part is my husband has never and I fear will never admit to any drinking problem. This will not be his rock bottom. To him he just had a fun night and needs to sleep it off regardless of who suffers. I hate my life so much right now.
Old 08-28-2013, 02:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

No one else can do his job? Sounds like HE'S not even doing his job right now! Eventually the company will figure out they can get more done by training someone new. It's not really that they get rid of him, by his actions he is giving his job up.

If you really hate your life right now, commit to changing it. We learn not to listen to what the A says, but watch what the A does. Find AA, find rehab. Commit to sobriety and get it done. Whether he drinks or not, you have control over your actions. When you drink with him, you can't really expect him to change.

Good Luck
Old 08-28-2013, 06:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You have no control over whether your husband loses his job but you can take care of yourself. Commit to recovery and protect your own financial well being.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

No offense, I would love to work from home. I have no idea how people fanagle it. It drives me insane because my job could be done 100% from home, but my boss MUST HAVE my butt sitting at a desk. I would probably be more productive too.

Anyways. If your husband is being terminated from an at home job, he's got issues. Mine lost his on site job because he didn't consult me first when he "made a complaint" to HR. Being in HR, I would have told him NOT to make the complaint, as it was baseless. But he knew better.

You just have to let them on their journey, whatever the consequences.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I heard a counselor say that in his over 30 years experience he has never been able to prevent a person from hitting his or her bottom. (Whatever their bottom may be). Growth and recovery only starts at the bottom when the will of the alcoholic is finally broken by the weight of negative consequences.