No "musts" in Al-Anon

Old 08-04-2013, 07:34 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
Well, I see knitting as quite a bit different from checking one's cell phone or texting during meetings. Knitting doesn't require concentration, and it isn't particularly distracting to others (at least it isn't to me). Someone checking their cell phone or texting is more like talking while someone else is speaking. You can listen VERY attentively while knitting.

Just my opinion, obviously.
I disagree.....how is it any different? Checking my cell take as much concentration as knitting and checking patterns and dropping knitting needles.
How is checking a cell like talking?
I've knitted and checked cell and I can hear while doing either

I think knitting in a meeting is rude
Old 08-04-2013, 07:48 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Engineer Things; LOVE People

Looking for meetings with NK (No Knitting) in the listing . . . .

hmmmm . . . . .

Seriously -- when I am working on MY STUFF -- I could not care if some on the other side was juggling with full-bore running chainsaws.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:10 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Summer peach, not if you're an experienced knitter. I knit while watching TV, while reading, I often knitted while studying for tests in college - like Lexie said, because it relaxes me and deals with some of the nervous energy I have otherwise.

We have people knitting, doing needlepoint, and eating their lunch during the meetings.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:10 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Well I am an experienced cell surfer!
That makes no sense!

Anyone who is zoned out at a meeting is being unkind to those talking. I would surf my cell like every 4th meeting and I was asked to stop and I did because I realized it was unkind. I also think knitting while people are talking it unkind. Knitting would not be accepted in ANY board room in business or in a group therapy session. Ever!!

Eating is not quite the same, though if anyone came weekly to meeting eating a meal, that would also be rude. Eat before you come if you can. I understand cookies and coffee, but eating food at every meeting would drive me mad

In any case, I don't attend meetings anymore
Old 08-05-2013, 06:38 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Haha no one knits at any of the meetings I go to, and the image makes me chuckle for some reason. I think it gives me pictures of stereotypical 'mothers meetings'. I've been told off a few times for things like fiddling with a hairband in meetings to occupy my hands when I'm feeling anxious. I can see how that would be distracting to other people as the constant motion draws your attention. So maybe its less an issue of the knitter being able to pay attention as the other people in the meeting being distracted by the knitting? I guess its another one of those things for each group to decide for themselves if acceptable. But if you have a problem with it then bring it up for the group to decide - that's all part of concept four participation.

We have a lady who usually eats her dinner at the start of meetings, but I can't say its ever bothered me. She's not loud about it, if she slurped I might feel otherwise
Old 08-05-2013, 09:39 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I have to disagree with Hammer here - gotta draw the line at chainsaw juggling!
Old 02-12-2020, 06:14 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Smile Was curious

Yes, I specifically searched if it's okay to knit/crochet at meetings because I am just learning how to crochet -- something to help me relax and deal w/some nervous energy. I definitely listen better when I can concentrate on something besides staring at someone speaking. So, I don't really know the real answer here, other than it annoys some people, but it's probably okay. I will ponder some more. Thank you all.
Old 02-12-2020, 07:48 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I crochet too and find it helps with my anxiety. I also meditate. I thought about crocheting at meetings but decided it would be more appropriate to do something less visible so I practise a bit of meditative breathing instead. No one else knows I'm doing it. I just focus on my breath.

It's especially good if someone is sharing something that makes me feel uncomfortable in any way.

And I never stare at anyone when they are sharing!! I always look at the floor and if I am focusing on my breath, I have my eyes closed.
Old 02-13-2020, 10:30 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

You can always kegel too!
Old 02-13-2020, 01:22 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I had to google that one. Hey thanks I will try that.
Old 02-17-2020, 12:28 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I love people knitting in meetings. I find it so relaxing to watch. But I come from a knitting family so maybe it's something to do with that.
Old 02-17-2020, 03:36 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Interesting thoughts from a double winner here.

Some people knit in AA meetings too. I have observed this one lady and it is definitely a way that helps her focus as it keeps her calm. Why would it bother me? No good reason except a prob of my own.

AA is for me to deal effectively with my life and how I live my program. Al-Anon is about how I deal in both past and present relationships in healthy ways; and best know to avoid ones that repeat patterns.

A huge takeaway from AA I use in any type of broader support group (incl FA which my husband and I attend for my step son) is that I have no business judging how others do them. The take what you want and leave the rest sure applies here.