Help! about Anabuse

Old 05-23-2004, 07:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help! about Anabuse

My boyfriend is an alcoholic. He's been to rehab twice and hospitalized again a month ago and start all over drinking again. He has all the physical and mental problems: bi-polar, insomnia, diabetes, hepatitis, over-over-weight, low platelets counts...

He got an Anabuse prescription from the pychiatrist but used it only for three days. I originally hesitated to put it in his meal secretly; considering the side effects the medicine can give to a liver-impaired people, I didn't do it. Today I cannot tolerate seeing him drinking to death and getting manic episode again, I finally put some pill in his meal. I guess he took about one pill. Nine hours has past, he has consumed about 1 litre more of Rum, but he still does not seem to have any reaction from it. So what happened? Maybe he has already had large toralence of liver-toxic stuffs? Maybe he has been sick for so long that he does not even feel it any more? Will I kill him by doing this? And, the only and last thing I can try to help him is to leave him?
Old 05-23-2004, 09:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

To Fed up
Just me, but I would never mess with giving an alcoholic any kind of medicine. That would be soo scarey for me to be responsible for even a hic cup.
They need to be responsible for self, but under influence they probably won't be.
Have you gone to a medical web sight and checked out antabuse???
Have you attended any Al-Anon meetings???
There is lots of wisdom on this site. We all need each other here.
I also attend open AA meetings. I hear them say , I drank because I am an alcoholic, No one especially not you ,caused it, We can't cure it, We can sometimes learn to cope, if we want to. Best Always Clancy

Last edited by Zoey; 05-24-2004 at 07:44 AM.
Old 05-23-2004, 09:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Consider this...

...he may have a high tolerance to this medication and he can still drink. If he's going to drink himself to death, there's not a damn thing you can do about it, as painful as it is to watch him destroy himself. Don't sneak medication to him - you're just playing the role of enabler.

I understand perfectly that you want to help him, but you have to get this one fundamental truth through your head: ONLY HE CAN HELP HIMSELF. He has a LIFE. You have a LIFE. God gave both of you a life to live as you freely chose. NOBODY, NOBODY, NOBODY, can save another human being from self-destruction. Please take it from me: I'm out over $50,000 trying to save one alcoholic from killing himself; now I'm just trying to survive having another one blame me for all his f***-ups!

I've walked the walk .... so to some degree I can talk the talk. Problem is, I still need to integrate what I preach into my innermost psyche!!!

Don't try to save this guy .... let him hit bottom and deal with your own issues. His problems are owned by him alone - not you!
Old 05-23-2004, 09:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Um... after you have done it is late for asking if it might kill him. Giving a person medication without their knowledge is extrememly dangerous. Not a good game.

You cannot help him. The motivation for quitting has to come from him. Hang out here with us and try an alanon meeting. You'll need some support for yourself.

Hugs,
Smoke
Old 05-25-2004, 07:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Exclamation OMG girl don't give him that pill without his knowledge!

Anabuse taken with alcohol could very easily kill him. He could have seizures or even cardiac arrest. NOT a good idea. Watch him carefully.