Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

Have you seen an alcoholic seizure? Plse tell me what they look like and what happens

Have you seen an alcoholic seizure? Plse tell me what they look like and what happens

Old 07-10-2013, 12:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What do they look like?
When do they happen?
Can they kill people?

I've googled them and read all I can but I want to hear it from people who have seen them happen.

I thought my father was having an alcoholic seizure, then he had another and another. They were quite short - 8 seconds, 5 seconds, 3 seconds. But then he wasn't breathing and we had to do CPR and he died.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Alcoholic seizures usually happen during withdrawal. Unless he had stopped drinking abruptly, I kind of tend to doubt it was that.

I'm not a medical professional, but strokes and aneurism ruptures can happen quite suddenly, and depending on where in the brain they occur, I believe they can cause seizure-type symptoms. Are they doing an autopsy?

How's your family (and you) holding up, Lulu?
Old 07-10-2013, 05:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am very sorry about your father.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Sorry to hear about your father Lulu; it must have been traumatic for you and whoever else was there. Look after yourself.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm so so sorry about your father, Lulu.

I found my exABF after he had a seizure (the ER docs told us that's what it was).

I found him on the floor, unable to move his legs well (he was thrashing trying to get up), his mouth and face all bloody (apparently from a fall, he doesn't remember), and talking absolute gibberish. I walked in and found him this way and at first he didn't know who I was. He was telling a story that was about half words, half nonsense. He thought he was somewhere else. In about 10 minutes he was calmer, but only in about 30 was he anywhere near normal. Memory still a MESS for the next day, then in the ER the meds knocked him out again.

Twice more in our travels back home and to the ER, he fell, completely lost control of his legs and slammed to the ground. The ER docs said those were probably also seizures, much smaller ones. They don't have to involve flapping and convulsing like you imagine.

Then, in the ER/ICU, the docs said he was having small ones, depending what level his meds were set at, although it's hard for me to tell what that was like since so much was different once we were there.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am so sorry about your Father. I know little to nothing nor do I have any medical back ground. My only experience was my XABF had a seizure in front of me one time. He had been sober several days or at most a week. We were standing in the garage painting & talking. Well, I was painting and he was talking to me then suddenly started like circles down to the ground. At first I thought he was picking on me or playing around then he hit the ground & it started! At first I thought it was a stroke when the seizures stopped just bc the way he looked stiff body parts, could not move and totally confused...at first when he came to he didn't know where he was, who the president was...shortly it all came back. Of Course I called 911 they got there & it was still going on but they told me it was a seizure.
I am sorry for your loss.
Old 07-11-2013, 03:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Lulu I am so sorry about your Father. Alcohol can cause seizures according to what a doctor told me. If a person has a lot of alcohol in their system, or gets alcohol poisoning. My hubby has seizures when he's drank heavily and is sobering up. He (supposedly) has had seizures in the past due to head injuries (car wrecks and motorcycle wrecks he caused while drunk). Alcohol makes it worse in people who already suffer from seizures for whatever reason, Ive been told. Im not a dr by any means and Im not giving medical advice. Just passing on what Ive been told and seen myself. God Bless you in your time of loss.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have no experience with what you are asking, but wanted to say I'm sorry about your loss. (((Hugs)))
Old 07-12-2013, 10:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry about your dad.