One week till I could have been in Key West saying "Yes"

Old 06-20-2013, 08:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

One week till I could have been in Key West saying "Yes"

I feel like I just had the wind knocked out of me. Feel like sobbing or vomiting or both

Next Thursday I should be sitting on the beach in Key West watching the sunset. My boyfriend should be pulling out a ring and getting down on one knee and proposing. I should be saying "Yes" through joyful tears. We should be celebrating his Birthday and dancing and holding each other tight. We should be calling home and speading the joyous word. We should be overcome with such loving emotion. We should be extatic and happy ready to share our life together. I should be calling my girls and telling them "Guess what?!?! We are finally gonna be a family and all of my dreams are coming true!"

Instead, Im facing reality. And its hitting hard right now. Big, crushing blows to my heart.

U see, we were to fly out Wednesday and stay for 5 days in paradise. I had a fabulous trip planned. I surprised him on Valentines day with tickets. It was gonna be an early birthday/Valentine/show my love and appreciation trip. I worked so hard to save all that money. His Birthday is next Thursday.

I picked Key West because for a special reason. He had been there once when he was 12 with his Boy Scout troop. They did a week of survival training there on one of the Islands. He spoke of that trip many times. He always wanted to go back. He thought it was the most beautiful place he had ever been. I wanted to really make it special and I did a little scavenger hunt for him to find out a out the trip. He was so adorable when he figured it out! He even teared up. He was so excited.

I am so sad right now. The trip is cancelled and I couldnt get any refunds on anything. He left the card and all the fun stuff I did for the scavenger hunt in his top dresser drawer when he left. The worst part of all, is knowing that one week prior to him entering treatment he had bought a diamond for me. Specifically to give to me on our trip.

I dont think I can type anymore right now... Its just too much.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

If you paid for the trip, and can't get a refund, then I say GO! Go and have fun and keep an open mind that even though life doesn't always work out the way we planned it, it does work out. If I had tickets to Key West for two and the other party bailed out on me, I wouldn't be staying home and feeling bad--that's for sure.

I'm sorry it didn't work out the way you dreamed, but that's no reason to waste a perfectly good vacation.

L
Old 06-20-2013, 09:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I agree with LTD here. Can you take someone else, a friend maybe? Family?

If not, just go by yourself. Just because it isn't what you planned doesn't mean it won't become something memorable and worthwhile.

I understand your disappointment (or maybe devastation is a better word here), but consider showing yourself some love and appreciation instead. How often do we take ourselves on vacation? I know I am long overdue...
Old 06-20-2013, 09:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I agree with LaTeeDa and Tuffgirl, go on the trip! It won't be easy but it would be really good for you.

I'm sorry you are in so much pain.

Hugs
Old 06-20-2013, 10:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I thought about going by myself or with a friend but, I couldnt bring myself to go to Key West knowing it was supposed to be he and I's trip. If someone else wanted to go they would have had to buy their own ticket. Anyhow, since I had already taken off work I decided to take my girls and go away for a few days. We are going to go visit my cousin and her family up in the mountains. Since I was unable to get any money back on the other trip My mom and my dad both gave me a little extra cash for gas and food. Plus we will be staying with family so we don't have to worry about paying for a hotel.

My girls need this just as much as I do. Im trying to make the best of another crappy situation! It will be tough but, I really wanna give them my time and energy to keep me from dwelling on the other trip.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That sounds like a good compromise. I am glad you are going out of town. I have always found that SO incredibly helpful in changing my perspective.

Did your bf go into rehab? Is that why the trip is cancelled? Did you break up? (I guess I should read your other posts.)
Old 06-21-2013, 01:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

This too shall pass my dear. That's what I keep telling myself. Hugs
Old 06-21-2013, 03:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
totfit

Go on the trip yourself and forget about the romantic notions for now. Romance yourself. What will you be doing otherwise? Though I wish you the best for what you want, you are your only dependable reality right now. Why not go and enjoy. If you have a good friend, offer them the other half of the trip.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Dreamsofserinity

U should read some of my other threads and get the whole story! I tell ya its a doozy though!

Yes he went to treatment but after 5 days being there decided he wanted nothing more to do with me and my girls. He moved out the day he got out of treatment and we havent had any contact since.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I know it doesn't feel this way right now, Ltlys, but it sounds to me as if you dodged a bullet. Imagine things hadn't spiraled down until later, that you married this guy and all of this came down in a year or two. And it WOULD have happened sooner or later, because alcoholism doesn't just spontaneously go away.

It would have been WAY worse for you, and for your girls. Much more disruptive to their lives, much more heartbreaking for you (I know it's hard to imagine anything worse than what you've been through, but trust me, that would have been worse).

I know you are hurt right now, and I'm glad you are doing something fun during that week. What you are mourning is a dream that would have ended badly. Yes, the romantic proposal would have been fun and exciting. But the aftermath would have been a nightmare.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Dear Ltlys, I don't mean to be disrespectful of your grief and pain, but I just realized something---Your situation is the exact plot of the movie--"How Stella Got Her Groove Back"!

dandylion
Old 06-21-2013, 06:29 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

not to close the barn door after the cows escaped, but...in the future, always get trip insurance.

what's done is done and you will be going away to spend time with your children. what could be better than that??? enjoy.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:55 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I did have trip insurance but, our situation didnt fit the insurance criteria!