Young child within a AH divorce

Old 05-28-2013, 09:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Young child within a AH divorce

Hello team SR,

Thanks for all your posts and experiences. They are helping me tremendously.

I would like to ask again for your input. Can you suggest some reading materials on how to handle/ what to expect from my 4y/o child as my AW and I split apart?

Thanks in advance!
PS
Old 05-28-2013, 09:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have not found any book/literature for that age... I have a just barely turned 5 yo and an 7 yo.

Telling my girls it's not their doing, they did nothing wrong (to explain why their dad is gone) and MY not reacting (even when it almost kills me) when he disapppoints them and breaks promises have been my go to approaches. I let them know they are right to feel whatever they feel, they have both slept with me more since their dad left (even though it has been a long time they still like to sleep with me at times and I let them) and I just give them a lot of love and try my hardest to not let the chaos that continues with their dad, impact them or my time with them...

Taking them to a therapist was a really valuable thing I did. Maybe look into that for your 4 y/o?
Old 05-28-2013, 10:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

A good therapist who specializes in his/her age range can be of great benefit, not only for the split, but for the fact that your child will have to continue to have parenting time with the alcoholic parent. Alcoholic parents can do tremendous damage psychologically to children, not to mention the physical harm they can inflict.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good Thread!

Hey, PS,

Thank you for starting this discussion - I have a 3 year-old at home and though I haven't started any divorce proceedings yet, this question has been at the back of my mind the entire time.

Looking forward to peoples' reposnses here.

Thanks again.

C-OH Dad
Old 05-28-2013, 12:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have a 7 and 4 year old and this is my concern as well. I am not in the divorce process yet but may be soon if ADH doesn't agree to get sober and actively work a recovery program. I am making divorce plans and then giving him the choice of alcohol or us. I am planning to discuss it in simple terms such as "daddy has some things he needs to work on" and reassure them it's not their fault and both of us love them dearly.