Who Knew?

Old 05-22-2013, 11:53 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BodkinVanHorn View Post
Haha I did hide it, I was rolling around with a bottle of vanilla extract in my purse at all times, lol. But then *I* started feeling wierd about it, haha.
ridin dirty! with vanilla! bwahahahaha!
it made me think of al yankovic.
oh my goodness.

thank you bodkin.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:56 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
Hold on, I think you misunderstood me. I said "If you happen to have a sober alcoholic in the house, he or she will let you know whether to get rid of anything." You had not made that clear, initially--that he had made that request. Yes, if that is what he requested, it is absolutely supportive of you to respect that.

All I was saying was that people don't have to do it pro-actively, to prevent someone from drinking. Sorry if you misunderstood what I was saying.

I apologize that I probably read the tone of your message wrong. No pre-emptiveness here. I waited for him to ask me, as normally, we used to keep some wine in the house and maybe the odd beer or spirits etc. that people had left over from visiting around the fire. He initially said he was fine with it, but soon realized that it was far too much temptation and he asked me to not keep any booze in the house.

I know relapse is part of recovery, but it sucks when it happens. I just needed to know that other people had been in this place before... Baking supplies and other things, because sometimes it just seems so absurd. I'm not an alcoholic and honestly, it just never occurred to me that there might be other stuff in the house that on a bad day, would work just fine as a substitute for vodka or beer or wine, etc.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:01 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BodkinVanHorn View Post
My ex would drink it all the time. I would have to buy a new bottle everytime I wanted to bake cookies (a lot, with a cookie loving toddler). And I was clueless for a while. And then I was angry. It's like 13bucks a bottle. For the love of God, man, just buy a bottle and hide it poorly as per your m.o., but don't take my baking supplies!
Humour is so great for the soul. This gave me a good laugh. Thank you.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:30 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

My STBXAH almost killed himself drinking nyquil while on a binge once. it was a Sunday, so no alcohol sales in our state. He drank 3 large bottles of nyquil instead and ended up in the hospital for 3 days. He should have been their longer, but checked himself out so he could drink....and his family wonders why he is puffy and swollen and yellow tinted...
Old 05-23-2013, 01:37 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I don't know if anyone remembers country singer Keith Whitley, but I read his autobiography years ago. He was an A! And he died from an overdose of mouthwash. It's crazy what the A does! And Lexicat is right, you can clear out everything, but if they want to, they will. Who wants to live policing every item in your home? I will not. I'm going to seek out happiness every day. The only person I can control is me.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:53 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I'm not an alcoholic and honestly, it just never occurred to me that there might be other stuff in the house that on a bad day, would work just fine as a substitute for vodka or beer or wine, etc.
Yes, it is absurdly insane!
I admit to looking for stuff that might work instead of beer when I was broke, and I mean can't even pawn anything broke.
I tried to choke down some of my MIL's cooking sherry once, but it made me sick.

Thank you so much for coming back.
It is tough where you are.
I have been married to an alcoholic/addict too. It sucks so much.
Watching someone you love do insanely absurd things for alcohol.

Please try to take care of you. I am not sure, have you been to AlAnon yet?

Beth

Alcoholism is baffling, cunning and powerful. Oh so powerful.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:03 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wicked View Post
Yes, it is absurdly insane!
I admit to looking for stuff that might work instead of beer when I was broke, and I mean can't even pawn anything broke.
I tried to choke down some of my MIL's cooking sherry once, but it made me sick.

Thank you so much for coming back.
It is tough where you are.
I have been married to an alcoholic/addict too. It sucks so much.
Watching someone you love do insanely absurd things for alcohol.

Please try to take care of you. I am not sure, have you been to AlAnon yet?

Beth

Alcoholism is baffling, cunning and powerful. Oh so powerful.
Yes, I have been to Al-Anon but admit that I haven't been in a few weeks because life and all its busy-ness snuck up on me. I know that I always feel better when I go though, so I've scheduled a meeting into my calendar for Monday.

Thank you everyone for the responses. I really appreciate it.