OT Someone broke in ...

Old 05-02-2013, 10:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

OT Someone broke in ...

...and stole some stuff from my apartment in Mexico.

My ex (not the alcoholic) is renting it and sent me an email stating that he left today at 11 am and when he came back at 1, things were messy, around $1000 USD were missing, and his Xbox and laptop were gone.

He has talked to the police and the building manager. Of course, its Mexico, so I do not think the thief will get caught.

Now I live abroad (have been abroad for 4 days to be exact) and I replied that I was very sorry and that we needed to install alarms/windows protections, change keys/bolts.

None of my belongings were stolen.

I felt sad and impotent but I also felt glad I have no expensive belongings to mourn either. I do not know how to feel. I cannot do anything but to send money for more protection. And to ask HP to keep my ex boyfriend safe.

It feels a bit weird, on one hand, I feel like a victim, and very sorry for my ex boyfriend, and on the other hand, I am not so sad/worried, thinking that the person who did this was probably just desperate and needed the money and as long as the ex is alive and healthy, things are OK. I did not expect to feel "peaceful" about this. Not sure about how I feel but I am starting to see that I can deal with what life sends me, and bad news do not necessarily mean suffering. Or perhaps its the distance, as I am not the one spending the night there...

Thanks for letting me share
Old 05-03-2013, 07:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Life happens. Don't sweat the small stuff...and you're not, that's great.

I had something stolen in Mexico on a trip. The police station had one young woman all by herself in it. She took the report without knowing English, so our bad Spanish had to do. There were several buckets in the middle of the room catching leaks from the roof.

I love Mexico! Two weeks and I'll be there again! One stolen item was well worth the enjoyment of the wonderful sun and terrific fresh food. On those two aspects, Mexicans as a whole may not be wealthy people, but they have that wonderful weather and food and in that regard don't know how good they have it compared to us up in the great white cold cloudy north with peppers trucked in that have no flavor...