Am I Normal?

Old 04-17-2013, 07:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Am I Normal?

Am I normal because I sure don't feel like it. I'm up then I'm down... I'm angry beyond all rationale, I think of ways to get even with him. I want to hurt him, but in the back of my mind remains a small glimmer of hope. Then I'm sad, depressed, anxious and turn to my drug of choice (junk food). I want him to hurt like I hurt, then I pray nothing happens to him.... I'm just all over the place!
Old 04-17-2013, 08:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Weeellll... I don't think anyone living in a situation like yours can be considered "normal"--it's a crazy situation. That isn't a judgment of you--it's just what happens when you live around alcoholism day in and day out. It literally makes us sick.

HOWEVER, I think you are feeling the way most of us felt when we started on the road to recovery. So, if you consider the universe of people living with active alcoholism in the home, yeah, you're feeling pretty much the way the average person feels.

You can feel better, but it's going to take some effort on your part to get there. Because the situation, and the alcoholic, are not going to change. You can only change YOU.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Honey, what necessary steps are you willing to take in order to feel healthy again?

Insanity, is doing the same thing, over and over again and expecting a different result.

I have walked in your shoes my friend, I understand how this disease can rip apart a relationship. It will cut you to your very core.

So what can you do today, to help yourself feel better about YOU?
Old 04-17-2013, 08:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by marie1960 View Post
Honey, what necessary steps are you willing to take in order to feel healthy again?

Insanity, is doing the same thing, over and over again and expecting a different result.

I have walked in your shoes my friend, I understand how this disease can rip apart a relationship. It will cut you to your very core.

So what can you do today, to help yourself feel better about YOU?
For starters I have to be honest with myself about my situation. My grandmother told me today "You are saying everything except I AM BEING ABUSED" which coming from her spoke volumes. Also I am going to seek out a therapist as well as an al- anon meeting. I am going to detach fully from him ( what that means for me Idk). I am going to allow him to live his life as he pleases and start living mine as I please.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Chivan,

I posted a long post for you, but realized that you did not say that you were being abused. It's almost automatic to me to think if someone has as strong feelings as you do, that you are being abused, and maybe not even know it.

I think your reactions and feelings are normal.

In what I was going to post, it was how I felt, but I was diagnosed with PTSD, and my psych thought my feeling were normal as long as I did not act on them.

Happy to hear that you will be going to a therapist and al-anon.

Do whatever you can to work on yourself so that you can be happy. Forget everything else. You matter.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by amy55 View Post
Chivan,

I posted a long post for you, but realized that you did not say that you were being abused. It's almost automatic to me to think if someone has as strong feelings as you do, that you are being abused, and maybe not even know it.

I think your reactions and feelings are normal.

In what I was going to post, it was how I felt, but I was diagnosed with PTSD, and my psych thought my feeling were normal as long as I did not act on them.

Happy to hear that you will be going to a therapist and al-anon.

Do whatever you can to work on yourself so that you can be happy. Forget everything else. You matter.
The cold hard facts are I am being abused my grandmother just wanted me to say it ( its still hard to admit) I was diagnosed with severe PTSD (about a year ago) that started at 7 from a situation with my father. It has escalated since then.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sounds to me like your grandmother is one smart woman. And I am certain she has your best interest at heart.

I am glad you confided in her.

I can understand how it can be difficult to believe the words of complete strangers. At times if we sound harsh, don't take it as a personal attack.

Sometimes, another's story, can trigger our own pain . Often when I read your posts all I can think is "OH, Hell No."

I just want to wrap my arms around you and get you to a safe haven.

Hoping you get to an Al Anon meeting soon.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Chivon, (((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))). I am sorry if I hit on something that you might not want to discuss or think about now.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Just want to offer words of support and also gratitude for your Grandmother and other people like her.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am so sorry your having to deal with this. Is it normal? I don't know. Am I experiencing that same exact emotions 2 weeks after the breakup with my exabf-yes. I want to show him what he lost and rub it in his face and I want him to beg and plead and try to get me back, but at the same time, regardless of every disrespectful, cold, and harsh act he has ever done to me. When all is said and done, I don't want to hurt him. And in reality, I would be terrified if he showed up at my door. You may have seen my post earlier about my reoccurring nightmare as well. All I can say is that each day that I take care of me I feel better. Slowly but surely. Thank you Amy55 for your post about PTSD. I think that might personally be what I am dealing with right now and will have to look into it. I wish you the best and all the strength in the world Chivon.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by marie1960 View Post
Sounds to me like your grandmother is one smart woman. And I am certain she has your best interest at heart.

I am glad you confided in her.

I can understand how it can be difficult to believe the words of complete strangers. At times if we sound harsh, don't take it as a personal attack.

Sometimes, another's story, can trigger our own pain . Often when I read your posts all I can think is "OH, Hell No."

I just want to wrap my arms around you and get you to a safe haven.

Hoping you get to an Al Anon meeting soon.
Thank you so much! Initially when I called her it wasn't to talk about my situation, it was to check on her ( she's in the hospital) but some way some how, my options came pouring out like a flood. There was a reply to something I posted yesterday that I did take as an attack, but it was just another poster telling me the truth... At first I was embarrassed, then I thought about not revealing so much, but I realize that's part of the problem, I would still be hiding the truth. How could I heal if I did that?

I really wanna thank you for what you said. It made me feel protected and cared for ( in a non toxic way) something I haven't felt in a long time.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by amy55 View Post
Chivon, (((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))). I am sorry if I hit on something that you might not want to discuss or think about now.
its quite alright! You didn't open up any wounds or anything. Just like I read other experiences and it makes me feel like I'm not the only one, someone may read that and feel the same thing, so its fine. I wanna help as much as I want to be helped.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:51 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Avalon393 View Post
I am so sorry your having to deal with this. Is it normal? I don't know. Am I experiencing that same exact emotions 2 weeks after the breakup with my exabf-yes. I want to show him what he lost and rub it in his face and I want him to beg and plead and try to get me back, but at the same time, regardless of every disrespectful, cold, and harsh act he has ever done to me. When all is said and done, I don't want to hurt him. And in reality, I would be terrified if he showed up at my door. You may have seen my post earlier about my reoccurring nightmare as well. All I can say is that each day that I take care of me I feel better. Slowly but surely. Thank you Amy55 for your post about PTSD. I think that might personally be what I am dealing with right now and will have to look into it. I wish you the best and all the strength in the world Chivon.
I am so sorry! Idk what that may be about. Maybe its a warning as to what would happen if you did decide to give the relationship another chance There is always a warning before destruction, we just have to pay attention. (((Hugs)).
Old 04-18-2013, 04:43 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ChivonYvette View Post
There was a reply to something I posted yesterday that I did take as an attack, but it was just another poster telling me the truth... At first I was embarrassed, then I thought about not revealing so much, but I realize that's part of the problem, I would still be hiding the truth. How could I heal if I did that?

I really wanna thank you for what you said. It made me feel protected and cared for ( in a non toxic way) something I haven't felt in a long time.
Shall I say "I told you so"?

We are here, we do care - I'm glad you are seeing that now. The truth hurts sometimes, especially when it goes deep.

I'm glad you are still here and posting, and reading, and taking it in.

Blessings,
C-OH Dad
Old 04-18-2013, 05:06 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Originally Posted by ChivonYvette View Post
Thank you so much! Initially when I called her it wasn't to talk about my situation, it was to check on her ( she's in the hospital) but some way some how, my options came pouring out like a flood. There was a reply to something I posted yesterday that I did take as an attack, but it was just another poster telling me the truth... At first I was embarrassed, then I thought about not revealing so much, but I realize that's part of the problem, I would still be hiding the truth. How could I heal if I did that?

I am glad your are trying to face the truth. I was amazed about how many layers of denial and lies I had created to justify my own choices. Oh, and it was painful but so worth it. But I learned *I* was worth getting healthy for and Chivon, YOU are too.

Have your read Codependent No More? It's really a great place to start with your own recovery.

I remember feeling embarrassed to be honest too, even over the Internet where no one knew me. I was just a name and a story. But each time I told my truth, I got a little stronger. Each time a reply stung like h&ll, I became a little more aware and a little wiser.

One of the bests replies i remember was - healthy attracts healthy, sick attracts sick. I wanted and needed to get healthy for me. Healthy people make healthy choices.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:27 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LoveMeNow View Post
I am glad your are trying to face the truth. I was amazed about how many layers of denial and lies I had created to justify my own choices. Oh, and it was painful but so worth it. But I learned *I* was worth getting healthy for and Chivon, YOU are too.

Have your read Codependent No More? It's really a great place to start with your own recovery.

I remember feeling embarrassed to be honest too, even over the Internet where no one knew me. I was just a name and a story. But each time I told my truth, I got a little stronger. Each time a reply stung like h&ll, I became a little more aware and a little wiser.

One of the bests replies i remember was - healthy attracts healthy, sick attracts sick. I wanted and needed to get healthy for me. Healthy people make healthy choices.
I believe like attracts like, so sick must attract sick. Also I'm reading that book now!
Old 04-18-2013, 08:40 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I just wanted to say that more than once, on this forum and elsewhere, I have read stories of someone who is being abused start on the path to recovery. In some cases, this causes the abuser to escalate the abusive behavior. Please make a plan for yourself in case your situation becomes dangerous. I hope you will not have to use it, but a "plan B" would be a very wise thing to have. Here is a link to many tips on how to deal with abuse:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...out-abuse.html

L