Advice Please

Old 04-13-2013, 05:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Advice Please

My AH birthday is coming up soon, and the place where the celebration is taking place will be serving alcohol. Now I do wanna celebrate with him, but at the same time I don't want to be subjected to what I know will end badly because of his need to drink. PLEASE HELP!!!!!
Old 04-13-2013, 05:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Do you have to have to have it there?
Old 04-13-2013, 05:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Journey To Me

Maybe you can celebrate seperately or before the main celebration? Maybe you can change the location?

There is nothing you can do to stop him from drinking if he should choose to drink. You can get mad, yell, or get bitter, but in the end it will not change anything and you will be left feeling miserable.

If you want to celebrate with the main celebration at that location you have to accept the fact that he may want to drink. If you are not okay with that you have a few options. You can attend and leave the celebration if things start escalating, or you can sit through the celebration and try to make the best out of it regardless of his choice to drink or not.
Old 04-13-2013, 05:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you! I'm so confused at this point. In honesty I feel like I'm damned if I do and I'm damned if I don't. I would hate to miss such a milestone in his life but as I said once he gets drunk, a good time takes a horrible turn.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If you are damned if you do and damned if you don't, then do the thing that will cause YOU the least amount of misery. What good is a milestone event if the memory is destroyed by too much booze. Take care of yourself, hon. I'm so sorry you're dealing with all this!
Old 04-13-2013, 06:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

SparkleKitty, thank you. Living a life where I focus on MY needs is new to me. I often feel bad because I'm so used to worrying about him and his feelings. What his needs are smh.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Living a life where I focus on MY needs is new to me.
It just takes a little practice. And some regressing, but I am doing it.

Beth
Old 04-13-2013, 07:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

If it were me, NO WAY would I participate/ attend .

I would make plans to be out of town that weekend.

You already know how this is going to end.. This is not your first rodeo with him.

Did anyone ever share with you that you do not have to take a front row seat to his unacceptable actions?

I spent 5 years babysitting a grown intoxicated man. It's not fun! At the time, I did not realize what was happening. You see, I was in denial, i was just going with the flow, until the flow let loose, and I had all I could do to keep my head above water.

The great folks here at SR shared their life stories. It was quite an eye opening wake up call.

Keep reading, lots of powerful information here. And please keep posting it really helps to talk with those who understand.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm determined to follow through by any means. I love my AH but I'm ready and need to love me first. I'm ready to be at peace and be happy. I'm ready to be cute and petite and get my personality back.
Originally Posted by wicked View Post
It just takes a little practice. And some regressing, but I am doing it.

Beth
Old 04-13-2013, 07:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
2Cor5:17

Hi Chivon
If sobriety is priority to you, then do what you need to do coz the way I see it is, after this occasion, you'll either have set a boundary the next time smthg like this pops up or he will think its fine then control & or manipulate you! Trust me dear, I live w/ this everyday but drew my line a loooong time ago
Old 04-13-2013, 07:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by marie1960 View Post
If it were me, NO WAY would I participate/ attend .

I would make plans to be out of town that weekend.

You already know how this is going to end.. This is not your first rodeo with him.

Did anyone ever share with you that you do not have to take a front row seat to his unacceptable actions?

I spent 5 years babysitting a grown intoxicated man. It's not fun! At the time, I did not realize what was happening. You see, I was in denial, i was just going with the flow, until the flow let loose, and I had all I could do to keep my head above water.

The great folks here at SR shared their life stories. It was quite an eye opening wake up call.

Keep reading, lots of powerful information here. And please keep posting it really helps to talk with those who understand.
How can I not have a front seat to his behavior when he drinks at home as well? Idk what to do. I'm so confused.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 1newcreation View Post
Hi Chivon
If sobriety is priority to you, then do what you need to do coz the way I see it is, after this occasion, you'll either have set a boundary the next time smthg like this pops up or he will think its fine then control & or manipulate you! Trust me dear, I live w/ this everyday but drew my line a loooong time ago
I understand but since I'm powerless to stop his drinking, am I supposed to alienate myself from all of family social activities? All of my in laws drink. And won't my absence open the door to cheating?
Old 04-13-2013, 08:21 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Maybe you can go to the party in separate cars. You aren't powerless to get a headache and go home early!
Old 04-13-2013, 08:27 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fairlyuncertain View Post
Maybe you can go to the party in separate cars. You aren't powerless to get a headache and go home early!
I'm going to go and try my hardest to have a good time. Pray for me.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:49 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Journey To Me

I hope you are able to find enjoyment out of the event. A milestone birthday is important, but be sure to take care of you too.

For the home drinking situation, what I did during my husband's extremely active drinking times I turned the master bedroom, which AH never went, into my safe haven. I placed nice candles, pretty pictures, and comfy pillows. He would spend his time downstairs drinking and I would spend my time reading a nice book on my comfy pillows. Is there a space in your home that you can turn into YOUR special place?

I use mine even still for meditation although I was thinking of moving my special place to an even more private location- my walk in closet since with the addition of my niece in the home my pets seem to want to know what is going on in the house all the time and completely hate the bedroom door being closed.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:07 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Maybe once we move I will have one. Right now we live with my MIL and only have our room. When he's at work I find solace though. You're suggestion is great though. Thank you very much!
Originally Posted by MTSlideAddict View Post
I hope you are able to find enjoyment out of the event. A milestone birthday is important, but be sure to take care of you too.

For the home drinking situation, what I did during my husband's extremely active drinking times I turned the master bedroom, which AH never went, into my safe haven. I placed nice candles, pretty pictures, and comfy pillows. He would spend his time downstairs drinking and I would spend my time reading a nice book on my comfy pillows. Is there a space in your home that you can turn into YOUR special place?

I use mine even still for meditation although I was thinking of moving my special place to an even more private location- my walk in closet since with the addition of my niece in the home my pets seem to want to know what is going on in the house all the time and completely hate the bedroom door being closed.