its hard and i resent being in the situation

Old 01-19-2013, 07:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

its hard and i resent being in the situation

Hi I am a friend of a former (or so she said to me for over a year) meth addict. to make a long story short for those who read my posts she when i first moved to a new city and she was my childhood friend and one of the few ppl i knew in a new city and then since she was distant and i figured since she had her phone off by 7pm an barely answered or returned my calls and acted stressed when i couldnt find a job etc and ignored me, that she didnt want to be my friend. then 3 years later tells me shes a meth addict
and is going to aa and na etc and wants my help but was dating a ex addict as well out of prision on and off for ten years. sad. hes dangerous.
now hes out she lives with him and her fam doesnt doesnt know
now i have symphathy for the addicted and will support but her ignoring me for years led to me putting a ton of my energry into believing she didnt want to be friend anymore so by the time i learned shes an addict. id distanced my self. now shes trying to call and hang ut a lot and i dont care kinda anymore. weve been friends since 5th grade is hard to say bye but i dont kno, i am trying to have compasion but years of disapointment make it hard
Old 01-19-2013, 07:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

There are some people who can always have a place in your heart, but not in your life. There is nothing wrong with that. If you want to move on, it is okay to let yourself do that.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Why are you torturing yourself?
Old 01-20-2013, 02:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SparkleKitty View Post
There are some people who can always have a place in your heart, but not in your life. There is nothing wrong with that. If you want to move on, it is okay to let yourself do that.
One day I will learn to say this much in so few words. That helped me, thank you.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I think it's perfectly OK to let go of this friendship unless and until she finds recovery. IMHO, distancing yourself from an active addict means saying 'NO' to constantly being hounded for money because she's always 'a little short'; to having her run over to your place when they've had a fight; to him coming after her and making a scene and threatening and pounding on your door (or worse).

Seems like distance from this pair would be a very good thing unless and until she finds recovery.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

well shes in recovery. problem after so many years of her putting distance between us and seeming like she doesnt want to be a friend i ja learned to live life with out her. plus she says shes in meetings and stuff but maybe isnt fully recovered since shes dating/livong with the guy?

thanks for comments and support. we just dont have even the same likes and interests she sees life oddly and negativily, and is always claiming depression. sad. feel bad but life goes on when ppl act like they dont want o be in my for years or at least only sometimes and then all of a sudden want to be a best friend again or what not when they need help as someone else said. how have others dealt with addicted friends anyone in a similair experience.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SparkleKitty View Post
Reading this just now hit me really hard. Today I'm struggling with remaining NC and this makes it easier to have acceptance. Thank you.