Sarcasm

Old 12-01-2012, 01:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sarcasm

I went to an al-anon meeting a few weeks back in a mood that was so frustrated and angry ... I just wanted to scream WHY!!!!!!!!! ..oops, Ok I did that a few times while I was driving there.

In the meeting that night we were jumping around on stray topics in the booka nd landed on one about Sarcasm.

I'm gifted in the sarcasm department. I'd shared one or two sarcastic remarks with my wife the night before when I felt like she was blowing off the fact that she'd drank during the third trimester.

So the book mentioned the origin of the word Sarcasm. It comes from an old Greek word meaning 'to tear the flesh off'.

Anyone else hanging their head a little after contemplating that one? I've gotten better at pulling in the horns and thinking before I speak. Sometimes silence and a timeout helps. I remind myself that alcoholics don't drink to drown out the joy and happiness in them, no need to beat them worse than they beat themselves.
Old 12-01-2012, 01:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Iceberg Ahead!

Yeah, I've had my share of meat while playing the role between persecutor and comic. It was a role that seemed not as harsh as the former. Yet, it didn't get many laughs or "results." Shocking.

It's funny, though, how often those daily devotionals would have been so much more helpful had I read them before my day started!
Old 12-01-2012, 04:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I Love Who I Am

I have a real problem with sarcasm, meaning when it's dished out. Always have. I've ended friendships actually because of it, after talking to the person about it and they denied it all around and kept doing it.

It's just sideways anger, hurting others while masking it as funny. It's not funny. Not ever, not to me at least.

I'm working on only being positive and bringing joy into my life. It works, I'm happier than I've ever been. Cutting out the negativity and calling in gratitude has healed me and my family in ways nothing else has been able to. It's a real gift.

Good luck, and don't be too hard on yourself. Just say thank you for helping me realize that. now i can change it!
Old 12-02-2012, 05:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
cfm

Don't beat yourself up. Then their would be two people beating you up, her AND you.