Researching Sober Living

Old 11-23-2012, 05:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Researching Sober Living

For those with Sober Living experiences did your alcoholic got to sober living out of state away from you? Did you pay the initial fee to go and then allow them to work to pay the rest of the fees? How long did your alcoholic stay in sober living? Did you visit several before deciding on the best fit?
Old 11-23-2012, 06:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Blueskies. I lived in sober living for a year. I went in the state I lived in but out of town to remove me from people, places, and things. I visited a few and sat down with the house manager before making a decision. For me, it was important to see people staying put in the house instead of it being a revolving door and I requested to speak with people who were living there as well. My family agreed to pay for the first month only after I successfully completed an inpatient program and then I took it from there. My rehab counselors were also a great resource as to which sober living homes would be the best fit for me. I hope this helps. I never would've made it without one. Rehab helped me put the drink down and get the toxins out of my body and filled my head with education on the disease, and living in a sober house taught me how to live in society without taking a drink. I needed that bridge to be where I am now. Best of luck tou you!
Old 11-23-2012, 06:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

My stepson is getting ready to go to a sober living facility on Monday. The ones that he was interested in all required that he have at least 30 days of rehab prior to entering. He was required to go through a telephone interview process. Whether he asked any questions or not, we don't know. All of this is occurring in another state. I think there are a variety of ways in which the financial aspects are handled. We are doing something similar to what snoopy mentioned above.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

(((((BlueSkiesAgain)))))

It is not your job, nor up to you to 'pick' or 'find' a Sober Living Facility. It is
the A's job.

The only decision you really have is to agree or not to agree to pay the first
couple of weeks room and board. That is really up to the A also, to make
arrangements.

I went through a similar facility 31+ years ago. NO ONE paid my room and
board. The first two weeks it was $50/week and went on my account as a
debit. By then I was EXPECTED to have some type of job and start paying
$65/week plus some on my first 2 weeks.

The idea of a SLE is to help the A to become totally self-supporting in all
facets of the A's life. A spouse, SO, sibling, or parent paying the room and
board is counter productive.

J M H O

Your A can talk with his counselors and therapists and see what they suggest.

Love and hugs,