Practice not perfection

Old 10-11-2012, 03:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Practice not perfection

Do alcoholics ever get sober and not want to drink? The saying "practice, not perfection" sounds like an easy cop out to me. What say you recovered angels?
Old 10-11-2012, 04:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Lot Of Love Out There, Man.

If their spiritual foundation is good then after a period (for some it is 7+ years and others 15+) the desire is removed. That is not to say that they will never relapse, they must keep spiritually fit. Alcohol in the home, if the spouse drinks, is not an issue. 12 step calls to the bar or job requires a lunch at the bar is also no longer a problem.
Old 10-11-2012, 04:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Recovered

Originally Posted by Leftover View Post
Do alcoholics ever get sober and not want to drink? The saying "practice, not perfection" sounds like an easy cop out to me. What say you recovered angels?
Yes!
It's the principles of the program (the steps) that get "practiced, not perfected". The "not drinking".... That just goes away and stays away as long as I am practicing!
Old 10-11-2012, 06:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Ah ha!!!! Practicing the Steps. That makes sense to me. Not just practicing not drinking and then when it's not perfect you binge. I think my A has been manipulating me with words. Thanks To you recovering angels.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Linkin Park Enthusiast

If you set yourself up to NEVER drink again, you will fail. Period.

Every addict in a program is taught that relapse is part of the disease. Don't fear it, conquer it.

Practice the program. Not drinking is one of those really good side effects of practicing it.