Pity Party - One Guest - Me

Old 07-28-2012, 02:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Pity Party - One Guest - Me

Hi all

I am feeling so sorry for myself tonight and where better to GET IT OUT than here.

Where do I start? It's Saturday night - 10.30pm Irish time, I'm home alone, well AH is passed out downstairs but you know what I mean. I had 2 invites to go out tonight but for various (justified) reasons turned both down. Of course now I'm kicking myself, because here I am in bed with my laptop while I could be out having fun.

Anyhoo.... I viewed a gorgeous duplex apartment last Sunday - almost exactly what I was looking for. I was waiting for the landlady to come back to me about it since Wednesday (I should have known that was a bad sign). She texted tonight to say she has let it to a couple. She was suspicious about me being able to afford the rent on my own - as if that was any of her business - so I wasn't totally shocked, but am SO DISAPPOINTED. In my head I had practically already moved in.

So let's see, what else is there. I'm very, very tired for no apparent reason, and I know that is contributing to things.

My single friend who I have been hanging out with and having great fun with recently is out on a date. I'm terrified it will go well. Oh my God I am such a bad friend lol.

So anyone else fancy coming along to my party?

I will happily arrange and and and 2
Old 07-28-2012, 02:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The night is but a pup!
You can go spy on your friend!
Sabotage her date!
Old 07-28-2012, 03:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hollyanne!

I can't say it didn't cross my mind!! Funnily enough, she omitted to tell me where they were meeting
Old 07-28-2012, 03:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Blast it!
Old 07-28-2012, 03:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
And Presents For Pretty Girls

Awww...I'm sorry you are home alone. How long would it take to get to Ireland from the States?? I'd be on the first flight out

It sucks when they do this. Last year on my birthday ABF passed out at 10:00. It was my birthday!!! I wanted to go out, meet up with friends, do something. I remember sitting there thinking I should just leave...he would have never known the difference until around 3 when he had to get up to pee (they are predictable creatures aren't they?)

I stayed but it was miserable. You need to get out! Even if it's to some late night coffee shop where you can hang out and get out of the house.
Old 07-28-2012, 03:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I really got the thing about the rental.
Where would SHE be getting the money?
And, what does she want all that space for?
I have a lovely duplex down in Cork.
I am benefitting from the property boom/bust big time!
Old 07-28-2012, 03:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I had my own version yesterday...allowed myself to wallow for a few hours. It happens...cake would have been nice though!

I am sorry about the duplex...what a bummer. But there will be others I'm sure. And you never know what you may have avoided...loud neighbors with obnoxious dogs...
Old 07-28-2012, 03:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Yea, lets party.

:
Old 07-28-2012, 03:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone.

itsmylifenow, unfortunately I'm kinda in the middle of nowhere for now - the only thing open is pubs lol

Originally Posted by Hollyanne View Post
I have a lovely duplex down in Cork.
It's a small world Hollyanne

Her reaction when I said I wanted to rent for just me was ridiculous. "That's a lot of money for someone on their own" blah blah blah. Hellooooo I wouldn't be looking if I didn't think I could afford it!

You're so right Tuffgirl - there are more that I'm waiting to see, and the landlady would probably have been a right pain in the butt, so a bullet dodged is how I'm trying to look at it. Mind you I have to put out of my mind the very attractive pilot who came out of one of the nearby apartments and drove off in a very fancy car
Old 07-28-2012, 03:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

She was suspicious about me being able to afford the rent on my own - as if that was any of her business - so I wasn't totally shocked, but am SO DISAPPOINTED.
Isn't this against the law. Or, I guess she didn't say it out loud. Don't want her for a landlady anyway. Pffffft.

What can you do in Ireland this late? You know, when I watch shows on American TV about Ireland, they say "Go to your local pub!" Really.
Everyone in the neighborhood is there, and someone might break out a musical instrument and all the good people of the village gather round and sing!
The pub's the place then.

No, really are there pubs like that? Anywhere?
What do the good Irish folk on this forum say about that?

Beth

We were posting at the same time!
Old 07-28-2012, 04:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tuffgirl View Post
And you never know what you may have avoided...loud neighbors with obnoxious dogs...
Ahah! So you're my new neighbour? Sorry about my dogs barking late at night as the drunken husband stumbled home at midnight....

Damn.... Ireland isn't all that far relatively speaking, and I have some brownies left over which I could contribute to the party.... but I'm currently half-covered by sleeping dog and unable to get off the sofa. Raincheck?

Originally Posted by wicked View Post
What can you do in Ireland this late? You know, when I watch shows on American TV about Ireland, they say "Go to your local pub!" Really.
Everyone in the neighborhood is there, and someone might break out a musical instrument and all the good people of the village gather round and sing!
The pub's the place then.

No, really are there pubs like that? Anywhere?
Yes, I lived close to a pub like that while we were in Switzerland for a few years. We were near the Austrian and German borders, and folks would come from miles around for a special musical sing-along evening once a month. There were duelling accordians, and really fantastic people yodelling in harmony, and even a large number of guys from a very well known men's choir would show up occasionally. I used to always make it to those evenings since we lived just down the street.

Funnily enough, my AH didn't care for it and I usually went alone. But since I lived close by I quickly made friends with many people in the neighbourhood and always ended up at a large group table and had a great time.
Old 07-28-2012, 04:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wicked View Post
We were posting at the same time!
Right back at ya Beth

As for things to do in Ireland, to some extent the stereotype is true. Where I am (which is only 10 miles from a main city, but still very countryside) at night there really is nothing else to do. In fact even in the city there isn't much else. There may be coffee shops open at that hour, but I can't think of any I know! The rest of it is often true too, about people breaking out guitars/accordians/spoons (yes people play the spoons). We love our late-night sing-songs over here. Visitors sometimes love it - depending on levels of drunkenness (not theirs, but the locals)!!! Have I tempted you into a visit yet? LOL!

Hypatia, once they're not covered in dog hair I will say yes to your brownie raincheck. I almost baked tonight, but my "meh" mood meant I just didn't bother. How would you feel about delicious crunchy oat cookies??!!!
Old 07-28-2012, 04:23 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

"The Workmans Friend"

When things go wrong and will not come right,
Though you do the best you can,
When life looks black as the hour of night -
A pint of plain is your only man.

When money's tight and hard to get
And your horse has also ran,
When all you have is a heap of debt -

When health is bad and your heart feels strange,
And your face is pale and wan,
When doctors say you need a change,

When food is scarce and your larder bare
And no rashers grease your pan,
When hunger grows as your meals are rare -

In time of trouble and lousey strife,
You have still got a darlint plan
You still can turn to a brighter life -

-- Flann O'Brien (Brian O'Nolan)

Need I say more?
Old 07-28-2012, 04:24 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

<blowing the dog hair off the brownies>
Darn it, that dog hair does get everywhere, doesn't it?

Love crunchy oat cookies, especially with little bits of chocolate in them
Old 07-28-2012, 04:28 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

Does it really rain a lot in Ireland? Once you get your new place you can throw an SR housewarming party and we'll all fly over and bring sweets!
Old 07-28-2012, 04:29 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

How very Irish Hollyanne.

May I be so bold as to substitute "A cup of tea" for "A pint of plain"???
Old 07-28-2012, 04:34 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Learn2Live View Post
Does it really rain a lot in Ireland? Once you get your new place you can throw an SR housewarming party and we'll all fly over and bring sweets!
I'm afraid it does rain a lot L2L, especially this summer, but don't worry we have at least 2 pubs in every village, and some not even in villages, so there's plenty to do. Apologies for the sarcasm!!

I would SOOOO love a housewarming for all my SF friends, and I love sweets. I'll keep you all posted. Looks like I may need to rent more than a 2-bed!!

everyone for cheering me up tonight.

x
Old 07-28-2012, 04:34 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I was thinking, what a completely inappropriate thing to put on a sober recovery forum.
My bad.
Old 07-28-2012, 04:35 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

What's a pint of plain? Beer?
Old 07-28-2012, 04:37 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I am kind of out on a limb as I don't drink now and my friends seem to consider it a handicap. I will survive, methinks.