Medical supervision for detox necessary?

Old 07-14-2012, 03:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Medical supervision for detox necessary?

Hi there,

Sorry if this question is redundant...But if someone has experienced alcohol withdrawal symptoms before (shakes and a seizure, not sure if they were DT's or not?), goes through the rest of the detox...and starts drinking for a week or two again before deciding to sober up again, will they need a medically supervised detox the second time around since the period of drinking was shorter? (First time ended up in an ambulance being called.)

Cool...thanks!

~ aurora
Old 07-14-2012, 03:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Seek medical advice :nod:

My xah call his doctor in a similar circumstance and he got meds for a medical detox but it was done at home.
Old 07-14-2012, 03:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm an alcoholic who had a bad last detox auroraatdusk.

I'd detoxed without apparent ill effect many many times - but the last one was bad.

Not saying this will happen for you and your husband - but the thing is none of us know for sure what might happen.

It's always the best idea to see a Dr or have some medical input.

D
Old 07-14-2012, 04:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Wise words of advice from Thumper and Dee! If you know someone who is trying to detox from alcohol at home, getting medical advice would be wise. Be prepared to dial up an ambulance if needed.
Old 07-14-2012, 05:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I agree with the others. Just as a person will never know at which drink they will go from being a "social drinker" to an "alcoholic" or someone who cannot function without alcohol, no one knows when "this detox" will be okay and "that one" won't.

Alcohol withdrawal is very serious, it can be fatal. I highly recommend medical supervision.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 07-14-2012, 11:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I posted several weeks ago several nights before my AH had seizure from withdrawals....I should have checked my thread before I gave in letting him do it at home.

Apparently seizures at 24 hours is VERY common (something like the brain resets itself because it just cant handle the stress of no alcohol) my husband had his at 25 hours into it...20 minutes earlier he would have been in shower and most likely there would have been a head trauma. Thank god he wasn't in a car or such......

The ER doctor said to always call 911 if there is a seizure...and it was terrifying because AH had no idea who I was and it took 2 hours for him to regain his senses. He is only 41. (last sept. I found him in catatonic state twice. Must have had seizure in the night and I had no idea. He wasn't intentionally detoxing but couldn't keep up with what his body needed. It took HOURS for him to regain senses in hospital)

TERRIFYING and I am still processing it all.

I vow never to let him do it again at home....perhaps if he has a prescription like Librium..(ER dr. gave this to him) ..but still I don't know....especially after what I know now!!!

He started drinking about 3 days after.....arrgh

So i am too looking at some drying out attempt again....sucks

A nurse told me that each time the withdrawals get worse...I don't know if that is true but I feel it might be.

Take care, I know EXACTLY how stressful it is. Do whatever you can to enforce he gets medical attention and/or medication (if you EVEN allow him to do it at home)....he may be more open to seeking help beforehand.....unlike my husband who is so stuck in denial and even tried to tell me he didn't have a seizure in front of me....

Seriously if he does it again at home it may be the end of our marriage. Too scary for me.

Too much stress for a partner to have on shoulders.
...For your own sake make him see doctor first....