Met a man yesterday who gave me a wake up call

Old 07-11-2012, 07:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Met a man yesterday who gave me a wake up call

Yesterday I had to do some business with a man, so went to his home.
It was dark, dirty, dingy, smelly and just so sad.
The man is seriously obese, diabetic (of course) COPD, and had just a ton of health issues.
When I went into his kitchen, he had about 50 bottles of Pepsi, horrible food all over the table and counter tops, cigarette butts all over, dirty dishes etc

We sat and talked for about 90 mins and he told me he's a recovering addict, but had to stop because he got Hep C, Cirrhosis and many other health issues.
He told me he drinks soda all day and smokes (so still an addict without the drugs)
He was a coke addict and alcoholic.
I would have said he was in his early 70's, then when I asked him his age, he is ONLY 57. I about fell on the floor.

He is in bad shape.....

When I left I thought to myself, had I stayed with my last ex who is a pot addict, horrible eater etc, this would have been my fate with him in the future.
My ex is only 43, but I'm sure will have as many health issues as this guy when he hits older age.
Most if not all serious addicts end up like this man I met.......
This is not a life I would ever want since I am a health nut (I'm a Naturopath) and a very clean person.
I felt dirty and worn when I left this mans's place.
The codie in me wanted to stay and clean up his house, but I will only work on his health as he asks.

All of a sudden, I do not miss my ex
Old 07-11-2012, 10:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I hear ya. I have a VERY similar work situation.

The same things ring through my head as I think about my AH now. What does the future hold? Could he have a stroke and end up in similar situation? And I going to become like his wife: scattered, frustrated yet taking care of him bitterly......

sigh

your post is a second wake up call for me.....such a similar scenario I see everyday and then come home to AH.....
Old 07-12-2012, 04:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My last two ex's talked about moving in together and I would cringe at the thought. Both are in great shape, had very clean homes, not fall down addicts by any means, but I would often project into the future and see this somewhat.....

It's tough to see when they are under 50 yrs old, but what addiction does to the body with years of abuse is vile and horrid.