I am sick of my brother's flakiness

Old 03-24-2012, 06:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I am sick of my brother's flakiness

It's hard to not take this personally but my Alky brother is a flake and a total air-head who also smokes a lot of dope. He seldom shows up when he says he will and if he does I think it is only because his five year old daughter needs a 'stop'. Also, so he can smoke a couple of joints. I smoke as well but not everyday and only if it comes my way. I feel like if I didn't live here he wouldn't bother stopping in and I feel like I am nothing but a convenience. I am housebound and I feel like he is taking this for granted.

Since his divorce (over a year ago), he has obsessively been making up for lost time in the girls department. Last night he texted me to say he was dropping in. He didn't. I texted him, gently asking why and he said he simply forgot and was with some 'rocking chicks, man!'. I am now getting the impression that since he cannot sleep with me, then I am not worth the trouble. Once when he was drunk on the phone, he told me how to live my life. For example I should go to uni and do some world travel, neither of which I am interested in doing. All of his friends are so cool (I say that tongue in cheek, they are actually all really screwed up). I think he is really shallow.

Before I quit drinking I had been (still am) going through marathon amounts of therapy as a survivor of a cruel and demanding N mother who I cut out of my life five years ago. Until my last birthday she was sending me checks for 50 and 100 dollars at Xmas while giving my brother $20,000 and that is so she can have a hold on him, since she has lost me. He suspects that now and is in a bind but then again, they are just the same as each other. On my last birthday I sent her a card saying that I do not want any more fiscal trickles. They made me feel cheap.

I am sick of being used. I am sick of feeling dispensible. Always there and always presumably reliable. My brother is important to me as I have no other family worth knowing and I am starting to realize that he is the same as the rest of them. He drinks when he can and starts the day smoking dope before breakfast. He has a foul temper and God help anyone who unwittingly gets in the way of his plans, be it cooking dinner or going to an arty-farty club (with girls to make his ex jealous). Or to pick up.

A few weeks ago he asked if he could stay in my spare room three days a week while he has a building job in town. Every week it will be 'next week'. The spare room is on hold and I really don't want him to be here anyway. He will only pay me with pot and I want money but I wouldn't dare ask. He has a quiet rage that scares me. It feels like he is controlling me. I hate staying at his place and I have to be Oh so intelligent and interesting if his friends are there. It is as if I am an embarassment to him. It makes me sick. I feel like a doormat. Is it just the substance abuse or am I really not worth it? I have a life too, small and uninteresting as it appears to be.
Old 03-24-2012, 07:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

You can choose whom you will allow in your life.

You have the right to remove toxic people from your life. Even if they are your sibling.
I did.
Old 03-25-2012, 12:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Pelican, I feel that way. I changed my phone number last week in an effort to ditch a 'friend' who won't stop drinking but had great pleasure in calling me when she was drunk. I actually thought I had cleared my life of losers until this but clearly I need to get rid of my brother. Blood is not always thicker than water but I will miss his kids.