any advice on disentangling $$$

Old 03-11-2012, 06:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

any advice on disentangling $$$

Hi, All,

5 weeks split from my relapsed (deal breaker) A x-fiance. OK with the split. Oh, did I mention that he picked the month I lost my job to decide to resume his drinking.

We co-own a vacation property. I put in down payment (quite alot of $$$)-VERY STUPID, and he was supposed to carry the costs. Mortgage, utilities, repairs, etc. So, house is up for sale in this depressed market. Good news, we have summer renters lined up. Bad news, house needs repairs and things like the electricity on to honor the rental contracts. I am trying desperately to not tank my credit and hold up this obligation until I can find a buyer.

X has paid mortgage so far (last 2 mos), but keeps threatening to not pay, and doesn't want to make needed repairs, but doesn't want me to proceed without his input. I know that what he really wants is to keep me engaged in the conversation and off balance.

I am trying to proceed with the worst case scenario, he contributes nothing. But with only piecemeal work to support myself, kids, dogs, and my own home, it's tough.

Any thoughts???
Old 03-11-2012, 06:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

I recommend you proceed without him. Get it fixed, rented, and you be the rent collector. You sound like you could figure it out. Take care of you and yours.
Old 03-11-2012, 06:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks, that is what I'm doing. I'm just sad and pissed!
Old 03-12-2012, 08:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I would run it by a real estate lawyer. I had some lawyers talk to me free....
Old 03-12-2012, 09:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

I would also recommend speaking to a real estate lawyer. Find out what your rights and obligations are at this point.

And document everything.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes, invest in an hour of an attorney's time. It is well worth it.

Do whatever you must to move on and ahead without your alcoholic.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Celtic, because of the mortgage mess that's going on across the country, you may have more options than you would have had a few years ago. I agree with the others that it would be beneficial to talk to a real estate lawyer. You can probably get a free consultation. However, real estate lawyers are expensive. An alternative would be to contact your lender directly and explain the situation to them. It's entirely possible they would negotiate with you, such as agreeing to a deed-in-lieu, but you would only want to do that if you don't have too much equity in the vacation home. There are also programs that defer a number of mortgage payments for the unemployed.

I have experienced mortgage difficulties myself, and I joined a forum called beingmiddleclass.org. (I hope it's okay to mention another web site on here. If not, just delete the name, mods.) They aren't trying to sell anything there - it's just a bunch of normal people who have alot of experience in this area. And they are very helpful. You can read others' posts, and if you would like to ask advice regarding your situation, you can join and start a new thread asking for help.