Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

February 24 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON

Old 02-25-2012, 04:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Present

February 24 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON:

Have I ever sought to find the tiny spark that detonat4ed a family row that brought into the open ugly words and violent recriminations? Can I admit that I may have caused it by being too quick to react to a ridiculous accusation or denunciation? Do I take everything the alcoholic says – in his frustrated rage against himself – as an offense to me?

When the guilt of the alcoholic explodes, I must realize that it is always aimed at those nearest, and often dearest. I want to remind myself that such outbursts only reveal the drinker’s own unhappiness. I will not make the situation worse by taking seriously what the alcoholic says at such times.

TODAY’S REMINDER

A long-ago childhood chant provides a simple answer: “Sticks and stones can break my bones, but names can never hurt me.” Unless WE let them.

“Let me learn to keep peace with silence when it is not the right time to say what comes to mind.” …”there is a time to keep silence and a time to speak…” (Ecclesiastes)