Just a hello and an update.

Old 01-29-2012, 03:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just a hello and an update.

Hi everyone. Not sure if any of you remember me or not. I came here early last year (maybe it was late 2010..I dunno ) out of desperation due to my husbands drug and alcohol addiction. I needed help and understanding and I found it. Of course being the codie that I was, I got upset by some of the replies I received but I was taught a lot and learned to take care of myself. Anyway, April 21st of last year my husband went into a 30 day in patient rehab. He has been clean/sober since the 22nd of April 2011. I am very thankful and feel as if his whole using "career" is a blur. My question is this...is it normal that I can not remember much of anything about that horrible time? I feel like all of it was a dream..but sadly it wasn't. I just remember bits and pieces. I start counseling again next month for my own issues (anxiety/depression) so I will bring that up to them but I just figured I would get some insight from those who've been there.
Old 01-29-2012, 03:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I think we tend to "forget" a lot of stuff that is painful. It's probably a self-defense mechanism in the brain. I've often said that if women could really remember the intense pain of childbirth, they'd never have another kid.

But, yeah, I believe that our mind protects us from some things.
Old 01-29-2012, 03:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I guess I've not put much thought into the memory block as being a coping mechanism. I honestly felt like maybe my anxiety and depression issues caused it. Thanks for shedding a bit of light on this you all!
Old 01-29-2012, 03:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have actually gotten to the point that if I don't remember a time in my life it means it was really stressful. I had some time in high school, a year after college and my whole first year of marriage.

Anymore that in and of itself indicates high stress to me.