How to do Xmas

Old 12-06-2011, 12:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Alcohol is a cruel mistress!!!

How to do Xmas

I am in a situation were my husband & I inherited a home from the MIL. My 36 year old step son was living there off & on will my MIL was alive and she enabled him to the day she died. For over 4 months we tried to evict him and even after his father's open heart surgery he acted in a threatening manner. I was cleaning the place up to rent it when his Dad was recovering and we live an hour away. Step son under the influence of alcohol and intravenous steroids assaulted me. I immediately called the police and he was arrested. Now he calls and leaves messages at our home like nothing has happened. He has never gotten any treatment or even apologized. It will be hard enough having our first holiday without our MIl. I am at a loss as how to handle this??? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

What is your husbands feelings on this? i would hope that after you being assulted, your SIL would not be welcome for Christmas or any other time in your home until after some apologies were made. I would ask your husband to see him without you there (for an hour or so while you could go out shopping) or somewhere other than your house.

Are there other children or family member involved? Step situations are so hard sometimes.
Old 12-06-2011, 02:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Personally, if it was me I would get a restraining order until he can prove he is not a hazard to both of you.

Alcohol and steroids are both brain rotters, I cannot imagine what they would do when combined, there was a story today about a 300 pound bodybuilder on steroids who evidently just walked up to a strangers door (naked no less) and beat the man almost to death and picked up the woman and toassed her around like a rag doll.

Please keep your distance from him, it may be the only way to keep yourself safe.

Best of luck to you,

Bill
Old 12-08-2011, 05:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Alcohol is a cruel mistress!!!

Thanks for the replies. I guess it is just the codie in me that would hope he would have some remorse for this behavior. He got out of jail on an unrelated charge where he was sober by default. I just don't understand the line of thinking to just call and ask for his father like he did nothing. He has told others that I am losing my mind and making strange calls to people I have never called. I am embarrassed for something I haven't even done. Not sure were to go next with this. His Dad is avoiding his calls which makes me feel uncomfortable like its still in my lap.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

Did you prerss charges against him? Or, did you just let it go after the assult? If you pressed charges, getting a restraining order is easy and I would suugest that you consider doing so.

If it were me I'd go no contact with your step son, and, go forward with your Christmas plans.

Heavy steroid use can cause horrible rage issues.

Have you read the stickies at the top of thos forum and the F & F of substance abusers? I would suggest that you do both.
Old 12-09-2011, 02:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Personally, if it was me I would get a restraining order until he can prove he is not a hazard to both of you.
That's what I would do, too.
Old 12-09-2011, 03:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think it comes down to, do you want to have Xmas with him? Really think about it. If the answer is no, don't let him come around and don't feel guilty about it.