Alcoholic breath is just killing me!!!

Old 11-14-2011, 08:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcoholic breath is just killing me!!!

So I'm the alcoholic in our little family of two but it's my husband's GOD-AWFUL alcohol breath that's putting a damper on our intimacy. He binge drinks on his weekends and I pray that one day he'll get sober...but until that time I'm stuck smelling the sickeningly sweet, rotting smell, does anyone know what I mean??? I've searched the forums and didn't find anything.

I'm so glad this is anonymous, because I feel really bad about saying this about my sweet husband!!!! It doesn't even help to brush his teeth, it's like it's coming from inside his stomach...out...every single exhale.

How do I bring this up without hurting his feelings? And while I'd love for him to get sober, I know you have to be ready, and I know he's not ready. Will he feel like I'm pressuring him to stop drinking just because I have? Is there any way to get rid of this breath!?! It lasts for a good 18-24 hours after he drinks!
Old 11-14-2011, 09:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
once in a . . .

I DO know what you mean! The alcohol isn't "just" in the drinker's mouth . . . No suggestions or solutions - alcohol is in your system til it works it's way out . . .

too much information alert:

(I could always tell my AH had relapsed 1-2 days later when I gave him oral sex!)
Old 11-14-2011, 09:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Ooooooh, the stench. It's horrible. I offer my AH a piece of gum. He gets the hint - sometimes he rolls his eyes at me, but it's worth getting a little relief from it. It doesn't really go away until it works it's way through his system.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

omg thank you both so much. I just got home for lunch break and had poster-regret,wondered if I had any hate mail waiting for me for smakck-talking my poor husband! I'll try the gum, thanks again!!
Old 11-14-2011, 05:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

YES! It's the number one thing (besides the hurt/anger) that's been ruining intimacy for me. Plus I'm pregnant, which of course makes bad smells about 100000 times worse. Whenever I bring it up he says "I'm sure it's not THAT bad!" or "You're starting to really hurt my feelings!". In turn, that just pisses me off. I wish he would take responsibility for the fact that his alcohol/cigarette/fast food rot in his stomach is emanating out his dirty mouth!