Okay... 52 Ways to Leave Your Lover

Old 07-18-2011, 07:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Okay... 52 Ways to Leave Your Lover

I think it's over, finally.

Today, again, he said, 'Come back here where you belong.' All I could say is 'It's not practical...' what a wimp! I'm afraid of hurting him, so I hurt him long and drawn out?! He said 'You're never coming back, are you?' and I said 'I don't think so, no.'

What if I'd said 'I'm breaking up with you. I don't want to be your girlfriend. I do want to be your friend.' and then STOP TALKING.

So I did. I went back and I said "I'm sorry. There's no reason to drag this out, seeing 'what happens next.' I've changed - I've changed a lot. I'm breaking up with you. I'm sorry."

And on the way there, the Lazy Day song was playing, and on the way back, playing in my mind. And I was thinking 'good for you!' and then I changed it so I'm not talking in the second person to 'good for me!' and good for my kids. And whether or not it's good for my ex-boyfriend, ultimately, is up to him.

Thank God he didn't say 'Give me another chance!' or 'I'll change' or 'You bitch!'. He stopped himself from saying much, and after a pregnant pause I said I'd be in touch about the car this week.

Anyway, I feel strangely okay. Thank you for holding my hand through this long process! Your words have helped immeasurably. Sometimes it's tough, on a forum, to know that there are real lives being touched. But you have, and I'm forever grateful!

- Sylvie
Old 07-18-2011, 07:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Good for you, Sylvie.

Yeah, I think dragging it out makes it tougher than necessary on both of you.

Get a good night's sleep, you had an intense day.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Wow! Way to handle a tense and awkward situation. I too have the habit of dragging things out. It really isn't fair to anyone involved. I respect the heck out of you tonight!
~T
Old 07-18-2011, 09:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

:bows to you in awe: How great for you, I wish I could do that. Way to go.