Just wanted to share....

Old 06-17-2011, 08:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just wanted to share....

I was posting on one of the martial arts forums about similarities between Buddhism and Recovery when one of the posters said something about being sorry I had to go through this. I responded

Thanks, it was a long time coming and her last binge was the last one I will ever be part of. But I have to admit that if it took the years of dealing with her problems to end up where I am now it was worth it.
and the weight of what I just wrote hit me. I really meant that. I feel that I am in a much better place now than I can ever remember being in.

Is this true for anyone else?
Old 06-17-2011, 09:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have no regrets. I doubt I would do this again if I could go back, knowing what I know now. But it is what it is and I have learned so much about myself from it...I can find today the lessons that I was meant to learn from this and feel ok with it all.

It's also nice to do some personal housekeeping as I begin a new decade of my life. Clean out the mental cobwebs and start in a fresh new direction.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

True for me.

Being uncomfortable, dealing with pain, working through problems are all exercises that make us stronger. It is a fact.

Doing nothing, avoiding pain, avoiding uncomfortable situations keep you in a state of nothing. Nothing at all happens.

I'm stronger from my trials and so are many people on this board.

Would I do it again? I'm with Tuffgirl on this. No.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Today is a New Day

I wouldn't wish the specifics on anyone.
As a result of the experience as a whole, though, I feel that I'm in a much happier, healthier place than I was, and so I'm grateful for that.
I have no intentions of a repeat performance, though.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Starcat, amen to that.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My motto when I had cancer was "that which does not kill us makes us stronger", I think that is true with most tough lessons in life, no you wouldn't want a repeat of them but you are who you are because of them and you can be proud of yourself for making it through the tough parts of life. I find I deal with little things in life a lot better than some because the really tough things in life teach us perception. And makes us appriciate all the little things in life that we might otherwise take for granted.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I second what Rose said!

When I went through all the cancer crap last year... I wondered why. I was angry, sad, confused, etc. It wasn't until I walked through it and looked back that I could see the good that came of that experience. I wouldn't change it. It wasn't fun - but it impacted me, and helped me be the stronger person I am today.

I swear in every dark moment of my life came some of the most profound growth... some of those were self-induced pains, others were just life - but I had to get through each and every one of them. Letting each one of them mold, shape, and leave their mark on me - so that I could be this beautiful soul sitting here today

That all being said - when you're in the midst of the storm - clarity is almost impossible to find. And the interesting thing with living with an alcoholic (whether we want to admit it or not!) - WE are part of the storm too.
Old 06-17-2011, 03:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I third what Rose said.

Sure, I sometimes wish I hadn't made some of the choices I've made in my life. OTOH, I do think I learned and grew and got stronger from all of the mistakes. I didn't roll over and blame the world or other people for MY actions. I took responsibility for them, "womaned up," and tried to do the next right thing going forward.