caring for the little ones

Old 05-22-2011, 08:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

caring for the little ones

although we are not living together, it is SO exhausting putting on the brave face for my kids who are too young to be aware of what AH is doing. I want to run away with them and put this all behind us. I hate it that I'll be hurting him.
Old 05-23-2011, 04:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by longwayhome View Post
although we are not living together, it is SO exhausting putting on the brave face for my kids who are too young to be aware of what AH is doing. I want to run away with them and put this all behind us. I hate it that I'll be hurting him.
Just wanted to offer you support and empathize... I have young kids too who have an idea of what AH's issues are but like you, it is exhausting at times to put on a happy/brave face for them... I would love to just disappear with them as well and never have to deal with AH again... That's a definite fantasy...
Old 05-23-2011, 11:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My kids are grown, and I still tend to put on a "FAKE" happy face...
I tend to believe, thats what GOOD mom's do.....

#1 - You should find a Alanon class for yourself - TODAY!!!
Like right away!!! It is the BEST thing you can do for YOU & YOUR KIDS!!!

#2 - You wrote, Hurting him? (are you freaking kidding?) WHO HURT WHO?
Who drinks? Who is the alcoholic? Who is teaching your kids, what is RIGHT in life?
Might sound a bit harsh, but these are things you will learn in Alanon.
These are the things you will learn about yourself.
These are the things that are going to help you grow & see just how sick your AH
really is.....

#3 - What is best for you and the kids?

If you dont get help for you & the kids, I would put money on the table you will
continue to be back on here S&R for many years to come, writting sad, broken stories
like mine. You should read some of my post about my daughter and what living with an
alcoholic has done to her.

You should read some other stories on this site, which you can find on the front page tabs: ACOA...Adult Children Of Alcoholics....Those stories are heart wrenching. Those stories are children (adults now) who have grown up with alcoholic parents....

*Do the right thing, and BE A GOOD MOM!!! and work on finding "YOU" again!!!

They tend to suck the living crap out of us...before we even know what happen

Lots of hugs to you!!!
Old 05-24-2011, 09:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I hear what you're saying and I've learned to detach from the AW by engaging in my boys interests.

I can't exactly run away with him but I can run to his collection of books and read a story. Everyone is looking at the book and I don't have to hold a smile but we do enjoy that time together and it's focused on him.

It's still energy spent but in a good way that has nothing to do with the AW.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Shellcrusher View Post
I hear what you're saying and I've learned to detach from the AW by engaging in my boys interests.

I can't exactly run away with him but I can run to his collection of books and read a story. Everyone is looking at the book and I don't have to hold a smile but we do enjoy that time together and it's focused on him.

It's still energy spent but in a good way that has nothing to do with the AW.
Same here. For me, spending time with baby boy works wonders. He loves books...though his favorite book is "Why I Love My Mommy." Hmm.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jayscott View Post
Same here. For me, spending time with baby boy works wonders. He loves books...though his favorite book is "Why I Love My Mommy." Hmm.
Mine = Everyone Poops

Funny little book for pre-potty warmup.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Its hard when they are young. My 12 year old understood, the 9 year old kind of got it, but the 6 year old was to young to really know why Mommy had gone away to stay somewhere else. My wife is home now and in recovery the kids have put it behind them. Don’t know what your situation is but it can’t be easy. My thoughts are with you. I was lucky in that the counselors at rehab suggested we tell the kids together so I did not have to face telling them on my own. I don’t know how old your kids are but the truth is always a good start.

The truth is that he is sick and this is not their fault.

coping with substance
Some stuff I read on the web.