MAY 13 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON:

Old 05-13-2011, 11:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Present

What finally impels the spouse of an alcoholic to look for help in Al-Anon? One large factor is the need for reassurance, to “know” that we’re not responsible for the alcoholic’s drinking. We know we are being “torn down,” usually by the drinker’s own guilt and self-reproach. This has left us without a shred of self-esteem. We come in as nobodies –and we desperately want to be somebody.

It isn’t that we’re looking for approval and praise from others, but that we want the inner confidence that we are adequate and worthy of respect. We need to learn that we have rights as individuals, no matter how grim the home situation may be.

Today’s Reminder

The restoration of self-esteem is one of Al-Anon’s prime functions. It doesn’t encourage a big ego view of ourselves, but in helping us to see ourselves as we really are, we learn to sort out our good qualities, and on that foundation, to build stronger, better personalities.

“I am grateful for what Al-Anon is doing for me. I am relieved to know that I can have a better picture of myself than I came in with, and that I must respect and like myself as a person before I can begin to grow.”
Old 05-13-2011, 12:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for the PUSH today...

It made me read it today.
Because I really didnt want to pick up my daily devotion book
let alone go to class today..(not in the mood)

Thanks..I needed that today!!!
Old 05-13-2011, 01:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Present

hey BobbyJ, I know what you mean. My commitment to typing these each day gets challenged too. I feel so much better after I type; it's such a great way to stay focused on what's best.