Baby steps of self care

Old 04-13-2011, 07:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Baby steps of self care

It's interesting to see in times of stress how our self care can drop out.

I have been okay with food. I don't have the energy and time to cook, but I am purchasing food and eating regular meals, so that's good.

I got a big headache coupled with an upset stomach yesterday. I wasn't surprised because I had worked a late shift and then was wound up and didn't get to bed till 1:30pm. I had to awake at 7am. That's 5 1/2 hrs when I really do best at 9.

Still, the reaction was so strong. I went researching and found those symptoms usually arise after prolonged sleep debt.

Then I realized that I normally arise at 6am, but don't get to sleep till 10:30pm give or take.

That's only 7.5 hrs. Multiply that by months and add one 5 1/2 hour night and WHAMO! I feel like a truck ran me over!

My little whiney girl is saying, "I don't WANT to go to bed at 9pm so I can get 9 hours! I don't have any time for MEEE then!"

Get off at 5, home by 5:30. Walk and feed dog. Make dinner. Done by 7. That's not a lot of time for the rest of life. (And I don't have kids!!)

Sigh. More acceptance. It just IS that way and all the fussing won't change the fact that I need sleep.

So, my new home goal is to figure out my wake up time (not always 6am) and count back to ensure 8-9 hours minimum of sleep. Period.

Baby steps of self care.

p
Old 04-13-2011, 09:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FindingPeace1 View Post
So, my new home goal is to figure out my wake up time (not always 6am) and count back to ensure 8-9 hours minimum of sleep.
Good for you.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey, good for you! I'm like that too, needing near 9 hours of sleep. It is so worth getting in to bed at 9 o'clock! I don't wanna either, but I remind myself how good I feel the next morning. And believe me, 11yo kids don't appreciate an 8:30 bedtime! LOL!

- Sylvie
Old 04-13-2011, 09:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I feel this way, a lot and I do have a kid.
Its hard after a day of everything, and you want your time to unwind, to feed yourself some good stuff, or fun stuff.

It can feel like there is not time for you.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I AM CANADIAN

I find it amazing how, sleep, rest, food and thirst play into game...i tend not to drink as much and if i do, is coffee...no water in my day...no wonder i am burnt out by supper time and have a headache....i get it now...but just recently....self care is good and i function purrr-fect!! *now for that belly rub!* lol
Old 04-13-2011, 02:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

FindingPeace, I can completely commiserate with your inner little girl. I think the same way. Get off work by 5:30, pick up DS by 6, home by 6:30, dinner on the table usually by 7, kiddo's bedtime routine, dishes, next day set up, and suddenly it's 10:30. "But I want to read something FUN!!!" "Just another hour so I can watch mindless TV." Not reading these work papers or the doing the registration paperwork for the summer's daycare program, or running through the household budget.... bleh

It's definitely been a struggle to make myself get adequate sleep and is such an important part of self-care. Yay for your baby steps!
Old 04-13-2011, 09:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Okay, so a set back today.
I had a split shift, but instead of breaking, I worked through it (there was so much to do!) and had a 14 hour day (and a headache by the end).
No no no.
Try again.
Going to crash now and tomorrow is my "Saturday". I am going to sleep till 10! p