Letting go of the FEAR

Old 03-26-2011, 12:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Letting go of the FEAR

Hi,

I am in counseling to deal with the effects of growing up with an addicted (drugs and alcohol) father (now Recovering 20+ yrs.) and a codependent mother, as well as my own relationships with As or other emotionally unavailable men.

I am working hard to become healthy for myself and my 3 yr. old daughter.

During today's session, I worked a lot with fear. It is something that I have been carrying around with me for basically my whole life. For example, my parents had joint custody, we would be with my father every other weekend. When we were small he would leave us outside in the car alone for hours, while he was using. Due to this and other similar situations I have carried around a lot of fear with me, as a way to protect myself and survive I imagine.

I was wondering how other people have been able to let go of fear.
I think a key for me will be to strengthen my faith in my HP, but I am not sure how to do that.

Thanks for any advice, tips, etc.
Old 03-26-2011, 01:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

For me, the starting place
was learning where it was coming from.

You're already well on the way to that one.

Then it was a matter of 're-training'
learning to tell myself
'that isnt what's happening now'
'That was then this is right here"

kind of stuff.

(that works to an extent with PTSD also)

I'm so glad to see you taking such an active approach
with your recovery... good for you!
Old 03-26-2011, 07:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Barb!

For the first time I can actually feel and see the changes. It is truly a blessing.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Maya congratulations, you are getting stronger!!
Letting go of fear... I wish I had wisdom to offer but I have none, the only remedy for me is to feel it and do it anyway!
Old 03-29-2011, 05:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A work in progress

What helped me was handing the fear over to my HP (as much as I could) and then "acting as if" I had no fear. Pretending, IOW.

Each time I did something that evoked fear in me I felt better. More confident that I was being taken care of, that if I kept doing the next right thing somehow everything would work out.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Fear is a tough one because it can strike at anytime. I try to remind myself that when I am feeling fear it is usually not fact and my mind is just working overtime. I try and take a deep breath and say the Serenity Prayer. That helps to calm be down and I start to feel better.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I just notice it and observe it (fear). I feel it in my body. I say oh there it is in my shoulders, in my clenched fists, etc. and notice- it is temporary. Emote (emotions) move. The Eckart Tolle book helped me alot- A New Earth. Am I ok in this moment? Yes. Anxiety is worrying about the future. Depression is worrying about yesterday. Am I ok right now? Yes. Can I take the signifigance away from the feeling. Observe it? Oh- there is that fear -like the fear I had when so and so happened to me ......fill in the blank. It is a process to stay in the moment. Doing a gratitude list will tweak me to positive thoughts too. Fear....forgetting everything is all right. The first 3 steps.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Emotional Shutdown

My sponsor gave me a slogan to go with FEAR and it seems to help me to stop and re-evaluate my feelings.

False
Expectations
Appearing
Real

Fear is a real difficult one for me.