OT - Good, Interesting, Fun, Books?

Old 12-13-2010, 02:43 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I knew it...

Rayne, I sniffed out your big brain immediately. Now I'm going to be even more anal about my spelling and usage. Plus, now I have to read everything you listed except Lolita and I haven't read that in years. Dang it!

Cyranoak--

P.s. Every year I like to check the most banned books list and read whatever I haven't read yet. Most of the time I have it covered, but every once in awhile a new book pops up and I make it a point to buy it and read it. There's nothing I love more than banned books!

Originally Posted by Rayn3dr0p View Post
I majored in English literature and now I teach English composition, so I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to books. If you're looking for a classic, here are a few of my favorites:

"The Awakening" by Kate Chopin: An oldie but goodie. When I read this book for the first time, it touched me very deeply. It speaks to the feminine condition and how once a woman gets married, has financial security, and has kids, she often still wonders, what is it all for? The ending is very controversial.

"Atonement" by Ian McEwan: A work of absolute literary genius. I don't want to say too much because I don't want to give it all away. The added bonus is you can watch the film adaptation (which is actually pretty good) once you finish the novel (and only once you've FINISHED the novel).

"White Teeth" by Zadie Smith: This one gives the reader a nice balance of exploring so many thought-provoking themes and making you laugh your a** off, if you get British humor, that is. It's long but well worth it.

"White Noise" by Don DeLillo: No, this has nothing to do with that crappy suspense movie starring Michael Keaton. Yes, this has everything to do with being a darkly funny perspective on modern life.

I could go on and on. Anything by Toni Morrison. My all-time favorite is "Lolita" by Vladimir Nabokov, but I wouldn't call it inspirational (at least not thematically) and it certainly isn't for everyone.

Ok, I'll just shut up now. I recently printed out the Time's and the Guardian's lists of all-time top 100 novels. It's my personal goal to read them all. Right now I'm reading "Herzog" by Saul Bellow. These reading lists might be a place to start if you're a literature snob like me.
Old 12-13-2010, 03:30 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I knew it... Homework!

Kidding. I've actually read Sophie's Choice, so two down the rest to go. Per Watership Down, a link will follow but the bottom line for me is the book drew me in in the way so few books do (relatively speaking), in that I literally couldn't put it down. Even now, having read it so many times I don't know how many times I've read it, I still have trouble putting it down.

For some perspective, my grandmother who was an English teacher, bought it for me in the late 70's, I still have that first edition hardcover which is not in very good shape, and I bought a paperback of it recently because my hardcover doesn't have many more readings in it-- it really only has sentimental value at this point.

It was also the source of a somewhat intense debate about whether or not the book, and/or the author, are sexist or mysogynistic. My mother was a dues-paying member of NOW, and I grew up with copies of Ms. in the house, and she just doesn't see it. That said, we all see art through the prism of our personal experiences, beliefs, and prejudices, right?

The Wikipedia entry on it is actually really good:

Watership Down - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cyranoak
Old 12-13-2010, 03:43 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by keepinon View Post
If you haven't read Eat,Pray, Love..it is great!
I second that one! I'm not quite halfway through, and it's a delightful read.
Old 12-13-2010, 03:59 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Oh, and if you want to get completely sucked in and forget about the world around you? Umberto Eco's "The Name of the Rose" and "Foucault's Pendulum"...

I just started reading Jan Karon's first Mitford book. They've struck me as too Saturday Evening Post sugary sweet before, but I figured right about now, I could use some of that.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:02 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

• The Kite Runner
  • A Thousand Splendid Suns
  • Girl in Translation
  • The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake
  • If a Dog's Prayers Were Answered, Bones Would Rain from the Sky
Old 12-14-2010, 07:38 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

In case it hasn't been mentioned, there's a Book Club forum under the Social Groups area & there are a few threads about favorite books and discussions about them.

I'll second books/short stories by David Sedaris - funny stuff - and I loved The Secret Life of Bees. But I have to mention The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein. My book club read it and no one, not one, did not like it, and we're talking about a group of women who usually don't agree about anything we read. It's funny, cute, and touching - and especially good if you love dogs.

Whatever you choose, enjoy!
Old 12-14-2010, 11:09 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Curled up in a good book...

Morning! Just got the email notification to let me know that Amazon have dispatched A Dirty Job to me. This is my Christmas present to me! Thanks for the recommendation - can't wait!!
Old 12-15-2010, 09:01 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

The Magus by John Fowles is also one of my very favorites. It starts slow because of all the character development. It's pretty dark stuff but is a great book.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:13 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Thanks, itisatruth, for the reminder on the book club. I always forget there are other forums besides F&F.

Bookwyrm, yay! I love getting new books! For a while, I signed DS and I up for a book club for kids, where each month, they shipped a new hardback book, an activity book, a music or story CD and a craft for his age group. There were no choices to make, no catalog, and just you got what they sent for the same price each month. It was so cool and DS was just as excited about opening the box to see what the set for the month was as I was.

A Dirty Job is hilarious. There's one section in particular that whenever I even think about it sends me into giggles. I'll have to borrow it from my sister again.