OT: but how would you handle it?

Old 12-04-2010, 08:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
I AM CANADIAN

Angry OT: but how would you handle it?

I work for a MAID service I get paid by the contract of the people we work for: meaning if i work in a house for 1 hour, i only get paid for that 1 hour...

I worked a job last week. the job was 1 hour

the bill was $106.00, he then gave my Leader a cheque for $110.00 KEEP THE CHANGE...

as of Thursday, no tip of the $4.00 from this man from my BOSS...the girls say...ah Maggie dont worry about it..but to me its the principle of the thing...

I called the BOSS and asked for the TIP on Thursday..."oh, no, there was no TIP"...PERIOD....

if its starts with just $4.00, who is to say she will not do it with $10.00?

any advice...? ooh ps, she has done this in the past also...

the girls will not back me up on this....
Old 12-04-2010, 08:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I suppose you could find a new boss, one you trust. That's one option.
I probably would not go after my boss over 4 dollars. It is your principle you feel was crossed. Principle wise do what you think is best. Business wise, I've never found it has been helpful to me to cross the boss over any principle. I had to decide if it was big enough to walk over or if it was small enough I could overlook.
Old 12-04-2010, 09:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I AM CANADIAN

she has done this before...that is the problem also...$4.00 today, $10.00 tomorrow...this job is not worth it..but need it for now....
Old 12-04-2010, 11:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Ouch. Given the situation that you've described and with no backing of the other girls, it sounds like you are powerless. I have seen those types before and once they become into a position of power, you're screwed.

The only thing I can think of is to hopefully find a better job someday. Unless this "boss" isn't the actual owner of the company and you think you can work your way up to that and take her job.
Old 12-04-2010, 12:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I AM CANADIAN

^^ thanks but no, she is the owner...this woman is so sick..my boss...two face bit!h she is...i cant stand a boss like that
Old 12-04-2010, 12:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Rising from the Ashes

fourmaggie, My opinion is based upon my knowledge of business in the United States.

Unfortunately, after I read through your situation, I believe the maid service company that you work for is not obligated to pay you the tip money. There should have been employment paperwork signed between you and the maid service company as part of the hiring process. The employment paperwork should have clearly spelled out who would keep the tip money. This happens all the time to waitresses and waiters. If the restaurant don't pay the waitresses and waiters the minimum wage, then the waitresses and waiters are entitled to keep the tip money. However, on the other side if the restaurant does pay the waitresses and waiters the minimum wage amount, they are not obligated to pay the tip money.

Earning $106.00 an hour is NOT bad!

I am an entrepreneur at heart! Why work for someone else and help build up their business? When you can start your own business and work building up your own business?

Take what you like and leave the rest!

Best Wishes!
Old 12-04-2010, 12:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That is true, my last paid job as an RN paid 26 dollars an hour. I think you've got a great job now that Phoenix put that slant on it. I'd come work for your boss in a heartbeat. I know that's not what you wanted to hear but that's great pay.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
I AM CANADIAN

no no, the BOSS is making $106.00 an hour...not me! lol god, i wish....i just well, thought with the principles and all, but she is no better than any one else in the work force...greed, gets you all the time...would have been good coffee money...<<just saying
Old 12-05-2010, 12:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Maybe you can mention to the client when you get there that if they are going to tip, to please keep in mind that you may not (because of how the agency handles things) see the tip. If you are hiring a service, a decent person wants to make sure that the person who DID the work actually gets their due, not to the pocket of some boss in an office

Then leave it up to the client if they wish to tip you directly (whenever I use any type of service that bills, I always tip the person who did the work seperately exactly for the reason you stated, they may not see their share).

OR, start your own business
Old 12-05-2010, 03:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
I Love Who I Am

Yep, I'd tell that "boss" to do the work herself and get another job.
But-I'm a problem worker like that. It's why I'm self employed, I have a hard time keeping my mouth shut.

I'd keep praying and saying, "thank you for bringing me the work you want me to do. thank you for feeding my family."

Say it and mean it. Amazing things will happen!
Old 12-05-2010, 03:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

(((Maggie))) - I understand what you're saying. Where I work is extremely dysfunctional, and I can't even get reimbursed for the $1 I spent on dishwashing soap when we were out, one night.

The thing is, I have to work, and applying at other jobs hasn't led anywhere, so I'm working "accepting the things I cannot change". Not easy, in fact it's downright frustrating, but I can't change it.

I used to wait tables, and was amazed that some people didn't realize my hourly wage was only $3.13...I depended on tips. In your situation, if someone says "keep the change", I'm a bit cocky and would say "I appreciate it, but if the check has anything extra on it, my boss keeps it", in a very calm voice, but that's just me. I'm with ((BabyBlue)) - I make sure the person that I want to tip, GETS the darned tip.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 12-05-2010, 03:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I used to work as a waitress in a small family restaurant when I was 15. There were 2 waitresses and 3 kitchen staff, the three kitchen staff co-owned the place, and nominally ran front of house, but all of the front work was left to us two girls and we were worked very hard. We got paid a flat pittance amount for the shift (£4!!!) no matter how long it ran on for.

We had to share all tips with the kitchen staff (which was okay, but they were owners so were getting all the profit too).

We once worked a wedding that ran over for hours, where on top of the very large bill the customer gave a £100 plus tip, added on to the cheque. I knew this because I took the cheque. The owners shared out the tips the next day, and between the two waitresses we had £4. when I queried this, the boss said there had been £10 tip.
There was nothing I could do.

Both of us left the job about 4 weeks later, but I was at school and had two other jobs and could afford to as I had no bills to pay and the money wasn't worth giving up study time for.

Now, I ALWAYS ask whomever I am tipping if they will see the tip if it is added to my visa/cheque, as do all my family, as I was very vocal about my treatment. Most say yes, some ask for cash.

It is lousy treatment, the only thing I can say I got out of it is an understanding of less-than-great working conditions and gratitude for my current employ. I would be very angry if I thought a tip I gave was further lining the pockets of the company rather than going to it's intended recipient. But its a tough line to tread, you have to weigh up what you think the client will do. If they withdraw their business, and make it known why, how would that play out for you?
Old 12-06-2010, 01:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
I AM CANADIAN

at Christmas time...there is always a card and inside the CASH...that we get...but when people are short of cash, the make out the check and add the tip...its frustrating to say the lest...I totally get all of you...this job is sooo disfunctional and i hate it...i read my AL ANON during my breaks to keep me in line...one day I will be able to leave...and my HP knows that....thank you for all the responses...the boss is a CHEAT, what can i say...
Old 12-06-2010, 01:45 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I was in a very similar situation for awhile, Maggie.

When I could leave the job, I did. I worked hard and the woman who ran it made good money off of me and I was completely trustworthy (hard to find sometimes, in the real world!)
She pocketed all tips.
She lost some good help.
She should have paid me better, that's all I can say!