FD and others...stymied about decorating

Old 11-23-2010, 08:05 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

FD, I did also find some warm browns for the walls but thought it would be too much...I can use it as you suggested.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:06 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I once took a green-blue vase to the paint store and had them match it..like you I used that as my color and decorated around that vase!
Old 11-23-2010, 08:23 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

another story from Dad:

In the late 40's the oil boom was the big thing. Money wasevery where. The oil johnny's carried a lot of mone on their person. This story carried out over 45 yrs and finally I was told who shot at big Red. Seems as if Big Red was one of the wild catters that played a big roll in our neighbor hood. guards were placed on equiptment so that no one could come in and destroy it. One of dad's best friends < Tero Bartimus was shot while guarding a dozer. Tero was shot from a distance with a shot gun. It knocked him off the dozer and he was taken to the howpital and survived but didn't live too long after. He ultimately died as a result of being shot. Most adults packed a gun. Everryone wanted to buy up oil leases .After dark Big Red was east bound on the Moccasin Road and turned north to go to Beecher City , another vehicle was headed west. As soon as Big Red headed Noth the west bound vehicle stopped an unloaded a full clipp in to Big Red's car. Big Red got to Beecher City and said theat they had tried to rob him and jumped on the running boards of his car. The car did have some bullet holes in it. The sheriff was notified and he interviewed John Inman that lived where Hurrel Doty now lives John reported that he had heard the shots. Tom Mc Devit stopped by our house and asked dad if he knew anything . Nope hadnt heard anything either. The sheriff allowed that Big Red may have been chaseing some woman and the husband became irate and tryed to kill him. This was proably early winter of 1946.m,mIn the late 1980's Wallace told me ( Remember Wallace had only been out of ww2 a short time)that he and dad were west bound on the Moccasin Road when this car turned in front of them and damned near run over them . Wallace said I jumped out of the car with my pistol and unloaded on the sob. There all dead now so what differece does it make,

Next story will be the sucide of Jess Doty in Dads car and how come the killing weapon was 30 ft away from where he allegedly shot himself.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:38 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

They were ornery like that. Growing up my dad would say cryptic things but then wouldn't answer questions or tell any more.

Up in that hay loft I liked to climb up in was a wood box, trunk sized. On one end it had an emblem painted on it..all faded out. It was really old and dirty. But somehow it held a world of mystery for me. The emblem conveyed "blood" to me. I was always trying to figure that one out. Dad wouldn't tell me a thing. He would say "I don't know, open it and see." Well, I was way too chicken to ever open it. Never did. I imagined a skeleton. I imagined Dracula.

Years later as an adult I figured out that the emblem was a Red Cross emblem and the chest wasn't sinister.

I really wish I would have went back and opened it..even then!
Old 11-23-2010, 11:01 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

The XABF had his own version of a "crock pot"..

A big cast iron kettle with a lid placed on the wood stove. (chili, roasts etc)

When I met him his idea of grocery shopping was: flour, cooking oil, bread and milk.
Flour to fry up the dear loins etc (oil to cook them in) and milk to make up the gravy which was poured over a slice of bread.

He hunted, his family had a big gardern, they gathered nuts, berries, persimmons and canned everything and froze the rest.

He has a small pond stocked and if we wanted fish, he just walked down his lane and caught them.

The influence I had on him: he now buys red potatoes because they steam and butter so well (even in the microwave!) and for a treat he buys frozen brussels sprouts. Yep, he learned microwave cooking from me. LMAO!
Old 11-23-2010, 11:30 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

from dad:

First and foemost I do not remember any of this. I only heard about it afterwards. My father and my Mother went to their grave thinking JessDoty had been murdered in Dad's car. It seems as if Jess Doty was an emploee of dads and he had borrowed the car to go a courtin. It was and oldChevy 38 or 39. This was also Oil Boom times. Jess apparently had gotten drunk and run the car off in a ditch and took a shot gun from the back seat nd killed himself. Every one had a gun. When dad arrived at the scene the gun was out of the car and 20 or 30 ft away. He told me he asked everyone there if they had moved the gun. No one had and Cook's funreal home had taken Jess away.
Many year later I was fishing with Hank Coffman in Canada and that event came up and I told Hank what I knew and Dad was sure he had been murdered. Hank told me he move the shotgun in order to get the body out of the car.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:38 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

from dad:

Oil wells. When I was a kid there was an oi boom gg on in our area. Dan myself & Sally decided we would drill for oil. Remember dad owned a saw mill. We built a derrick about 15 ft. high. Attached a pulley to the top , ran a rope though it tied a rod on to the rope , we would pull it up and let it drop. U would be suprised how deep u can go befor it gets stuck and u cant pull it out. This is where I first heard of fractions. We sold shares in our oil well. A nickle got u a 1/32 a dime got u an 1/8 we sold shares to the neighbor hood kids the Troutmans, klines & Phillips. Pay was up front.If we lost the bit we had to refund 1/2 there money. Many fights over the nickle shares. Charlie Kline paid us a $1.00 to move the rig to his house and drill on him . We moved the rig 1 mile to his house and got all set up and his dad came home and made us give the $1.00 back and tear down and go home, Such was our Oil drilling. We actually punched holes to 30 ft or so before it would get stuck and we had to cut it loose. We alwasy hit water. I sent u the one about the buggy didnt I cant find it on the computer. Dad
Old 11-23-2010, 11:45 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

With the price of oil running at 80 or so a barrel, there's been more drilling in the Louden area of late. At least, in the St. Elmo area. I did happen to take a drive that way recently for a burial of my closest friend's mother and didn't take in all the scenery as much as I normally would have.

Thank you for sharing this thread