Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

bracing myself, because here come the doubts and sadness over what might have been...

bracing myself, because here come the doubts and sadness over what might have been...

Old 11-17-2010, 02:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

He is not at his brothers house. says they had some type of disagreement, not my business he says. possible that the brother backed up my reactions, possible he laid out the same boundaries for staying with him.

He stayed with a friend in a questionable part of town. Has no plan, is still being kind of rude to me.
He says I crushed his dream of having happiness.
He says I got my period and everything went south.

He says I sh8t on all his good work.

He says he did not drink, and he plans to stay sober.

I do not know if i did the right thing.
He was not working his program.
he would not talk to me about it.
he blew off 2nd psych appnt, no meds...
he panics all day, sleeps all night..
But, he wasnt screwing around on me, wasnt just mean or terrible.

did i toss him out after a month of sobriety as a pre emptive strike?
should i have been more patient?

dammit dammit dammit
I am going to have to trust that I knew what i was doing.
I hate this part. this is the beginning of the phase where i historically cave and get sad instead of staying mad. This is the beginning of the phase where my mind releases some kind of pain killing hormone, which makes me forget why I do what I do...and just leads me straight into nostalgia.
Historically that nostalgia was almost entirely fabricated, since i had 99% bad memories.
This time I am actually going to feel a loss of some real, good, progressive stuff.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

i meant panics all night, sleeps all day... sorry
Old 11-17-2010, 02:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You can take this decision to be separated day by day. Write down everything about why you did this so you can remember when your mind starts conspiring against you. Just breathe in and out and take care of yourself - warm bath, good book, early bedtime.

You can re-visit the issue tomorrow. Just give yourself the night off. His quacking is not helpful to your resolve, is it? I had the same problem.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am still at that point of longing for the old days and what might have been. I still love him, but I can't be with him. I can't fall for the lies and manipulations that accompany this disease. I have to stay strong for my kids. I have given in soooo many times and let him back in the house in hopes that things would be different. They just got worse. Right now I'm setting boundaries of exactly what type of relationship that I want with him. The first step if and when he becomes sober will be some type of co-parenting and visitation with the kids. But I will never be sucked back in again until he is REALLY working a program, minimum a year, probably more. Keeping reading, you will get stronger.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

As was said here on another thread -
Active recovery can be seen from a mile away.

I do the SAME thing as you are doing. I spin in my head:
Did I make the right choice?
Am I being unfair?
Maybe he's right.
Maybe I am being harsh...

on and on.

Blaming you, being cruel, b.s.ing are NOT signs of recovery.

So, here is an opportunity to trust yourself.

Trust yourself.

Try to start noticing what your brain is doing. Catch yourself in your thoughts. If you can, you can say, "Oh, look! There I am doubting myself again. Oops. I am going to quit that now."

You are worth peace. You are worth kindness. You are worth honesty. You are worth communication.
You are getting a regular ride to crazytown with him holding the reins.
Stay off the horse.

Hugs
peace
Old 11-17-2010, 03:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FindingPeace1 View Post
As was said here on another thread -

I do the SAME thing as you are doing. I spin in my head:
Did I make the right choice?
Am I being unfair?
Maybe he's right.
Maybe I am being harsh...

on and on.

Blaming you, being cruel, b.s.ing are NOT signs of recovery.

So, here is an opportunity to trust yourself.

Trust yourself.

Try to start noticing what your brain is doing. Catch yourself in your thoughts. If you can, you can say, "Oh, look! There I am doubting myself again. Oops. I am going to quit that now."

You are worth peace. You are worth kindness. You are worth honesty. You are worth communication.
You are getting a regular ride to crazytown with him holding the reins.
Stay off the horse.

Hugs
peace
Thanks so much FindingPeace... I needed to hear this today!

Trust yourself, Buffalo ~ as so many others point out on a regular basis - play the tape to the end.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Buffalo66 View Post
He stayed with a friend in a questionable part of town. Has no plan, is still being kind of rude to me.
He says I crushed his dream of having happiness.
He says I got my period and everything went south.

He says I sh8t on all his good work.
I'm going to give you my perspective because the things I see from way out here are not the same things you see from up close.

These are not the words or the actions of someone in recovery. If he wanted recovery, he would be owning his part. He would be keeping his side of the street clean. He wouldn't be blaming, shaming, and trying to guilt you into doing things his way. He wouldn't be rude to you, but genuinely concerned over what is troubling you.

You deserve better. Just sayin.

L
Old 11-17-2010, 03:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

Have you tried going No Contact yet Buffalo? Because whenever I would try to speak to the alcoholic or addict in my life, I would get drawn back into the self doubt, etc such as you describe. If you don't talk to them, they can't make you doubt yourself. Maybe think about no contact?

It also helps me to write out everything every day. That way, I can refer back to my words and remember just what hell I have been living.

You will feel better soon. Your job right now is to keep breathing. (((hugs)))
Old 11-17-2010, 03:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks, Everyone

L2L,
we have a young child. I have done no contact over the years. right now, we had been emotionally better than ever, i terms of consistency.
he just left a day ago. I am just trying to hold onto my sense of sanity.

i will probably have to go no contact.
he was calling today under the guise of concern over our son who has a stomach flu in the extreme.

I am going to have to greive for what truly might have been, because this was the closest we have ever got since he started drinking.

I was held, heard, looked at by someone who was behind his eyes. I had not had that for years. and i love him. I have been hopelessly in love with him from the moment i met him.

The treatment was like a miracle, he really did do some wrok, because he did change..It just did not stick, and now he is slipping back, and it is tragic.

its ok. i will be ok. I just do really hate this part the most.
I have a lot going on, i am self fulfilled, I am writing a book, painting, i am spiritually awake. Thats better tha ive been for a while, and that happened BEFORE he made his change.
I am excited to get back to all of that full time, without having to worry over him being a teenager in a 32 y.o. body.

just the hardest part right now...well, so far, anyway.
Thanks
Old 11-17-2010, 03:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

well said, anvil. thanks
Old 11-17-2010, 03:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by anvilhead View Post

except you wanted more than a weight that kept the couch from floating away. you outlined the conditions upon his return to the home, and he didn't even come close to meeting or exceeding them.

TRUE recovery is ACTION.
LOVE IT! Nice to hear your wisdom, anvil!
Old 11-17-2010, 03:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

I have been hopelessly in love with him from the moment i met him.
I SO know what you mean here Buffalo. I have been here many times. But the last time was the worst. It was someone I have known my entire life, who I have looked up to since I was a very young teen. It felt more natural to look up to, love, and be in love with this man than it did for me to BREATHE.

And I believe there was a very important lesson for me to learn when he came back into my life a few years ago. For me, that was to see that it is unhealthy and WRONG for me to place other people on pedestals. It is WRONG for me to make another human being my Higher Power. Maybe your lesson is something similar.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Aww the pain is so very fresh. I agree with the above poster, going NC is a life saver for many, doesn't mean it has to be for good. Going NC is a daily/constant decision too...

What kind of paintings do you do?? have you thought on drawing and painting how you feel? I did this really sad drawing and we are going to burn it in a ceremony with my therapist and the group. Art can be a great outlet for all these feelings...

Keep moving forward and the payoffs for these decisions you are making now will come back to you... your sadness will be nothing compared to the joys and gifts life will give you.