What's the deal with me and my cat?!?

Old 10-26-2010, 09:39 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

transform you are hilarious and I love the pictures. I burst out laughing. Love the one where he is sitting up. Yeah, you're right-cute and cuddly--but does whatever he wants with no regard to anyone else. He is a cat and thus in charge of everything you know. He is probably looking at you totally befuddled and thinking-has she no idea who is in charge here???

Hopefully his kitty clock has been reset.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:40 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Most of my cats were indoor/outdoor until Scout was shot by a pellet gun and died at my vet's.

It's been an adjustment converting to indoor only, with Riley being the biggest challenge.

First he lost his best buddy Mister Kister earlier this year (my 15 year old FIV+ cat whose health finally declined).

Then he can't go outside anymore. Those are two huge adjustments for him.

My biggest challenge has been watching doors anytime I need to go in or out as he's usually nearby, and I have to catch him.

He also 'talks' a lot, which he never used to do.

So, I talk back to him, give him some extra loving, and then get back to what I was doing at the time.

It's no big deal unless I make it so.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:47 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I am laughing at this whole thread.
My parents have a cat and dog. Both nuts.
The dog hates everyone except my parents and the cat and dog spar all day for kicks.
They both can open the door!
The cat just walks around the house until he finds an open window. Runs and hides when you try to kick him out. He is indoor/outdoor. He sleeps in a kennel! They give him a hotwaterbottle when cold. In the evening at bedtime, when my father comes in to put them to bed, the cat takes off under the couch. If he is outside, he just runs away. We all think this is hilarious except my father! He has learned to pull back the one way flap-door and somehow climbs over the block in front of the door. He is often out and gone in the morning. He likes to present all his "kills" to my mother on the front step for approval!!! They are perfect for my parents who are also nuts. The dog and cat walk down the drive with my father one on either side. The dog pulls him off the couch for his walk. This is funny as she is perfectly free to walk all she wants as she is never leashed.
How about just leaving the cat loose? Let him in when he calls. Get a cat-flap?
Old 10-26-2010, 11:43 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

This is a funny thread. So frighteningly true, the similarities between cats and alcoholics.

I'm such a cat person.

I bet once the stress of moving, and working through AH drama, etc. winds down a little you won't be quite so flustered with him either. After I had my twins I was so overwhelmed, so busy, that my best cat ever that I had for well over a decade and never did anything wrong - my poor guy. His very meowing and presence ticked me off. One more thing to take care of. Sit on me - are you flipp'n out off your gourd cat? I have two babies hanging of my chest 22 out of 24 hours in the day. I do not need to scratch your ears the other two.

But it all worked out and I loved him up once again. He no longer annoyed me.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:04 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

My cat's name is Sammy and his motto can be summed up in 4 letters, DDCR. Not all humans will agree with that, but stop and think about it, dogs do drool, and where do you usually see the fine feline sleeping, verses where the dog sleeps! Sammy thinks he's right, dogs drool and cats rule, and that's final!

A humorous video about "dogs drool and cats rules".

About That Whole "Cats Rule, Dogs Drool" Thing... (Wizbang)
Old 10-26-2010, 12:09 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hugs, Transform. Dr. Snuggs is adorable and he does look incredibly snuggly.

He reminds of the stray tom cat we adopted when we were little kids - much to my Mom's dismay. He kept hanging out on our deck which was like 2 and a half stories off the ground on one side of the house. When he decided it was time to leave, he didn't go back down the stairs at the front. Nope. He took a flying leap off the back deck to climb down a tree that was actually quite far from the deck. We loved him and believed he could fly. I think he did too, but he still lived to a ripe old age. He would put up with our snuggles in exchange for food, but I really think he kept coming home for the deck and tree.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:30 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

OK transform I just cannot stop laughing when I see that picture of Dr. Snuggs sitting up. I am practically crying I am laughing so hard. I may have to make a copy of it and put it on my desktop so anytime xah pisses me off I can just look at Dr. Snuggs and burst out laughing and forget all about xah.

Laughter really is the best medicine. OK, I still cannot stop laughing and people around me are giving me looks at work. I'm stuck in a laughing jag!! Help!!! Better go do some work!
Old 10-26-2010, 01:02 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I have big orange male cats as well. I think they're awesome. Cats with all orange coats seem to be a little more "feral" than their orange and white cousins. Cat's coat colors seem to be linked to behaviors in some way. When I did shelter medicine in a big city, we had a lot of black cats because black cats seem to thrive in crowded urban environments better. When I visited a more rural shelter, there were more orange cats as they seem to do very well as solitary outdoor hunters. There have been a few studies in this area that show some merit. I have no idea why it's this way, but I think it's quite fascinating.

I won't comment on specific behavior issues as I am assuming that to the moderators here that it would be exactly like a physician coming on and giving an alcoholic or addict medical advice. Plus, the original poster specifically stated that she was merely venting and not seeking our expertise.

A visit to the vet might not be a bad idea though. There is a wide variety of behavior modification methods for cats - anything from straight up training, to pharmaceuticals, to pheromone therapy. I work with a lot of problem cats and I will often use all three. There's no reason to allow your pet to disrupt your life like that, especially when there are so many things that can be done to help repair the relationship.

I think I'm okay straightening out the terminology for sterilization, since I noticed there is some confusion:

Originally Posted by transformyself View Post
Yes, this guys' been spayed since he was a pup. kitten.
Originally Posted by Tally View Post
I had a male that way spayed as a kitten only for the tubes to somehow reconnect later on and I had to have him spayed a second time.
All feline (and canine) sterilization procedures are referred to under the overall umbrella of "neutering" or "sterilization". Neutering is the more common term. Animals that have not had been sterilized are referred to as "intact".

Of the two types of neuter surgeries there is the "spay" surgery for females, which is a complete ovariohysterectomy. The ovaries, tubes, and uterus are removed; the cervix and vagina remain. Males are "castrated" and this is the removal both testes and ligation (tying off) of associated structures. There are no surgeries that leave the reproductive organs in place (vasectomies for males or tubal ligations for females) like there are in human medicine. Animal neuters are always complete and irreversible.

For Tally - I'm a little confused by your situation. If you had a male cat that was castrated, there are no testicles for "tubes" to reconnect to (and I don't know how one would know the tubes had done so if there were). If you had a female cat that was spayed and you found her pregnant or in heat (the only way you could tell if a female is intact), then that means she still had her reproductive organs.

Either way, for a neuter surgery to "fail" like that and require a second try means that it wasn't done at all the first time. You may want to talk to your veterinarian. Someone might have classified this cat's reproductive status incorrectly for you, or you may have paid for a surgery that wasn't done.

Good luck with your kitty transformyself.
Old 10-26-2010, 02:06 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
I Love Who I Am

I should take him to the vet, you're right. That'll REALLY **** him off...

but I noticed the same thing-behaviors and "personalities," sure seem to be tied into coats and markings. Fascinating. Thanks doc!
Old 10-26-2010, 02:59 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

It must be time for some shots. Maybe he is sick and needs his temperature taken.

Put him on cat chow and water. No more whiska's till he shapes up. If he yowls all night again try threatening him - with long verbose rantings - with another stay in solitary at the other house.

Oh....is that codie or controlling? Dang it.

I have been thinking about rescuing an outdoor 'orange' cat from my xah's house before the snow flies OMG.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:27 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Trans,

Is he fixed?

If not, have him fixed (neutered).

If he is, well, dont know what to tell you.

i have 4 cats, and all indoor. when tom was not fixed, he was a beast. now, he is a pussycat
Old 10-26-2010, 04:35 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I've had two cats that wouldn't stay in. They yowled and screamed and ripped my screens to shreds if I didn't let them out when they wanted. They were both fixed.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:59 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Being Silent so I can Hear

I have a big cuddly marmalade tom. Well, a tom minus the toms ya know?

He's my cuddle buddy...and he also has no shame just like yours.

He's much friendlier than my totally black female.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:06 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Hahahahaha! Funny thread! First I read this:

he runs around for days doing god knows what, I worry my heart sick that somethings happened to him, then he shows up to eat, sleep and take off again.
...and I actually thought you WERE talking about AH here.

Then later, I read this:

AH can't take this guy. He hates all other cats and attacks them and AH has a roommate with a cat.
...and thought you were talking about AH again, only I pictured him attacking cats this time.

So then I had a thought. I imagined AH in place of Mr. Snuggs here...

...let him out all the time. Since, it's been IMPOSSIBLE to keep him in. You can only back out of the house with a squirt bottle so many times.

So I let him out, mainly at night, while I lived at the old house, mostly because he would YELL until I let him out. *******.

So I moved, a block around the corner, and he does the same thing but then disappears for a few days. I find him of course, back at the old house.

I locked him up alone in the house with food water and litter last Thursday, brought him back home yesterday, stayed up with him, bringing him to bed with me when he wandered around screaming. Told him repeatedly that he can't go out. He finally went to sleep.

Then, he must have snuck out behind me when I went out this morning to take the garbage out because the ****** isn't here now.

I'm laughing out loud imagining it. My girls want to know what's so funny.

Transformie with a squirt gun...trying to keep AH in the house. Locking him up with food and water and a litter box...

NO OFFENSE intended here, anyone. It was just a funny visual.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:58 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

LOL... hahahah I am alone in the office, 11 PM and also laughing out loud. You got me since "I am powerless over my cat " oh man..

I can't get over Mr Snuggs.... sitting up!! and his facial expression.

Aw I have never seen a orange cat. What about gray cats?? My Dolce is the sweetest cat ever and super well behaved. Not sure where she learned to behave. Certainly it was not at my house.
Old 10-27-2010, 01:19 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
I Love Who I Am

HEALING that is hilarious!!

I should have tried backing out the door with a squirt gun to keep AH in. Didn't try that one!
Old 10-27-2010, 05:05 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I have finally finished this whole thread, and Oh Transformie, tho I really understand your problem, I couldn't stop laughing at so many of the hilarious posts. Of course that snap of Mr Snuggs, sent me bathroom wards in a BIG hurry, but then Healing finished me off with saying she thought you were talking about AH.

She isn't far off the mark is she? Could have been describing my ABF when on a binge.
If he ever breaks out of recovery mode, I will be using a squirt gun on him,......to keep him OUT of my place.

Maybe you have "tamed" him at last, or he is just resting for the next bout of driving you nuts.

Psst...Transformie, are you sure this cat isn't an A?
Old 10-27-2010, 05:42 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
I Love Who I Am

Dude! (Yes, Jadmack I just called you Dude) This IS what the whole thread is about. My codie approach to and torture of my damn cat!

I'm so glad this has helped folks laugh. Laughter truly is one of our most powerful tools in recovery.

Dr. Snuggs started yowling again this morning at about 430, luckily I was already up and working, all though it still annoyed the daylights out of me. Shut up all ready!

I gave him food then he climbed into my lap. I may never have a boyfriend, ever, between the kids, my business and this demanding, hairy, alcoholic cat!
Old 10-27-2010, 05:59 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

LOL again.. please can someone make this a STICKY... please.

You are not alone working early transformie. STILL here and its 8 AM. Yes. 10 hours working and my day is just beginning . At least I am on my bed now. And my cats are playing with something making noises... hey, another similarity, the noise and SLEEP DEPRIVATION...

NO REST FOR THE WICKED! as anvilhead says.

this one is a troll but looks like Gabanna in a good day

Old 10-27-2010, 06:04 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

another similary, symbols of bad luck. amazing. i swear the expression looks like XABF used to look like "the next morning".

transformie, at least we will save on Halloween costumes... well at least I already look like a ZOMBIE... I thought about being a mental asylum patient... I identify with the character. And I just need to get a white robe (hope thats the name in English). Thongs (then go without shoes), no makeup, out of bed hair, white pants and I'm all set. Yes, XABF will see me like that. I no longer care!! mine is fun acting, his is an ongoing horror show that is not even original.

Sorry. Done with venting .Feel better. Good morning everyone!