Who has taken antidepressants?

Old 09-20-2010, 09:00 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

They have been a life-saver for me. I don't have any side effects from taking Lexapro other than it makes me thirsty sometimes.

I've taken it since 2003. I did wean off of them just to see what happened and WOW!... I got right back on them. Yeah, I remembered suddenly why I took them in the first place!

They can be extremely beneficial.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:27 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Miss B,
Forget all your reasons for NOT taking them. If you are in a funk for a while, then they could be a lifesaver. I took lexapro for a while. Didn't do much except calm me down, but was lethargic and put on a pound a month!
I then stopped taking it without supervision, DO NOT DO THAT!
I then became really bad and went to a psychopharmacologist. Now on wellbutrin and effexor combo and def doing better.
Get a good friend to keep an eye on you as sometimes we are not the best judge of ourselves. Keep an eye on side-effects. Was very nautious after starting zoloft and it wasn't great anyway. God what a rambling reply! Sorry. Is that your baby? cute!
Try psychopharm, went out of network and was worth the money!
Old 09-20-2010, 08:54 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I resisted antidepressants for years thinking I should be able to heal from depression on my own. Finally I relented and took effexor for awhile prior to my pregnancy, with very few side effects, and it helped enormously. I went back on it after the baby was born, and it didn't work any more.

Switched to wellbutrin, which helped my depression a bit... and helped my trichotillomania (ugh... a weird OCD type problem... don't ask) amazingly well. I take wellbutrin for that when I can afford it.

More importantly, I haven't needed antidepressants in many years. They were a fairly short term tool that I now don't need! But I'm not sure I would have been able to locate depression in my own head well enough to address it without the temporary treatment. Make sense? Be gentle with yourself. Depression is truly the pits of life.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:22 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Missb...I take 5 HTP and I love it. It has done things that no drug has and no side effects, but I do know when I miss a dose. Take it at bedtime because it will make you sleepy. Another thing I take is DHEA. Both are effective for me. I am with you on the natural way, I much prefer it!
Old 09-20-2010, 10:26 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I am excited to try the Amoryn, it should be here within a few days. Just like antidepressants though, they say it can take up to 8 weeks to feel the positive effect.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:29 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I don't know about that one, but it only took a few days for me to feel the effect of the htp...the difference is that it is not a drug, but an amino acid that affects the neurotransmitters in the brain. Not synthetic. Hope it helps you!
Old 09-20-2010, 10:37 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Thank you <3