Upsetting News for my XAH has got me all triggered

Old 06-25-2010, 08:32 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by infiniti View Post
I guess this would apply to me as well, and I do not mean to hijack the thread at all, but I just want to say that what makes me think that "one more time" will be different is that at one point, "one more time" was different for me when I kept falling and needing help to get back up. There came at time that I finally grasped onto that help and stayed up.

That's what I am hoping for in my insanity.

Just for my own clarification, you did say you are not an addict and/or alcoholic, correct?
Old 06-25-2010, 08:42 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

Additionally, what makes you think that "without me" equals the abyss for him? Who appointed you his Higher Power?
Old 06-25-2010, 11:46 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Freedom1990 View Post
Just for my own clarification, you did say you are not an addict and/or alcoholic, correct?
That is correct; I am not. I have used drugs maybe 20 individual times over the past 25 years and I have abused alcohol when I would binge drink on weekends (well over 3 years ago). But I've never needed it, never craved it, never had an issue when I didn't have any. I've turned it down many times when it's been offered by friends. I do not keep alcohol in my house as normal practice. But I stopped drinking even socially months ago to be supportive of my RABF, and other than maybe 3 beers and 2 margaritas (all separate from one another), I haven't had any alcohol in almost 8 months. I can stop at one.

So, no ... I do not believe I am an addict/alcoholic.

Originally Posted by Learn2Live View Post
Additionally, what makes you think that "without me" equals the abyss for him? Who appointed you his Higher Power?
I never said I was his Higher Power, did I? And I don't believe I ever said that "without me" equals the abyss for him, either.

My phrasing was meant to convey that I cannot and will not turn my back on someone I love and care about, as long as he is trying to get his sh*t together. Conversely, when I discovered he had relapsed, I told him then that if was going to continue to use at all, I couldn't stay on that roller coaster with him anymore. I told him I love him, I always wanted what's best for him, and I wouldn't watch him self-destruct.

But to be honest, he has no one else in his life other than his mother, me and his sister (who is also an addict). He has no friends due to all of his friends being druggies and he has no contact with them anymore.

I was thrilled last night, however, to hear that he is finally seeking a sponsor in his NA program. He also re-established his sobriety at his meeting, admitting that he fell and relapsed after 364 days of sobriety, and vowed to do 90 meetings in 90 days. I told him how proud I was of him, which I am ... so proud I could just burst!