Who gets the I Love You's now?

Old 05-17-2010, 08:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Who gets the I Love You's now?

I've been wanting to post on my latest life lessons, but shockingly I've been busy livin' and not busy journalling. Funny how that works. When life is catastrophic I could write rivalling Gutenburg and his bible, but when things are poppin', I get writer's block.

For some reason, though, this popped out.

I used to be my Ex's biggest cheerleader. He'd whine and I'd be the one to give him a pep talk. I'd tell him how much I loved him and how because of that he could do anything in the world. Go get 'em tiger!

So who gets the I Love You's now....You guessed it....ME!

I can honestly say it's still kinda new for me. All the self loathing, all the stinkin' thinkin', and all the insecurity still bubble up, but I tamp them all down fast and hard with a quick "I love you, God loves you now go to it." I was on the treadmill earlier even and just didn't think I could finish out my wobbly little sprints, but it just popped right out me, "I love you, now run" and damn if I didn't start runnin' just like that.

As simple as it is, it keeps me positive. It keeps from from wallowing in self pity or from focusing on what's not going well. I wonder why it hardly worked on my EX?

I should seriously get some pom-poms. I could conguer the world with a good set of pom-poms.

I want to hear from you all about your own positive affirmations. What do you tell yourself to get you rears in gear, your motors running, to put on a smile when your face hurts, and turn that frown upside down?

I'm all ears!

Alice
Old 05-17-2010, 08:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I love this! Thanks for sharing it (especially the treadmill part).

Lately, I've been telling myself I'm not going to let anyone or anything steal my joy. It's mine!
Old 05-17-2010, 09:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

"The world is my oyster"

I'm a single independent woman and I can do, go wherever, and be whoever I please. :-)
Old 05-17-2010, 09:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

Oh, and I can DO whoever I want too! Not that I AM!! but, I could.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

What a great thread Alice!

I always like "the only constant is change"..."and this too shall pass".

lmao. i just realized that whenever my self-esteem is in jeopardy I usually call someone ...is that codependent? ****.

I try to think in the moment first, acknowledge how I feel without judgement, and think back to times when i felt good about myself, or daydream about good things to come.

Music and KILLER HEELS - never fails for me I swear 0
Old 05-17-2010, 09:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
DMC

Originally Posted by MaryGoRound View Post

lmao. i just realized that whenever my self-esteem is in jeopardy I usually call someone ...is that codependent? ****.
I'd like to believe that if you're calling your mom, it doesn't count. Because moms make everything better. And I call my mom a lot. And my sister. They're part of my network, my support structure. They reinforce that I'm not the crazy one. (Or if I am the crazy one)

I tell my dogs I love them. Sort of. I think they get it by telepathy, though. I don't really have to talk to them, other than reminders to GET DOWN! Or whatever. Usually I don't have to tell myself - I KNOW that I'm great, and as my mother reiterates (often with rolling eyes), she didn't raise daughters with weak self esteems. (My sister has referred to herself as "Linda The Great" since she was a little kid.)

Anyway, I just got back from a fabulous vacation. By myself. Just me. I did what I wanted to do. I went where I wanted to go. I set my own schedule, and pushed myself as hard as I could go. (There are lots of museums in Paris, you know.) And I just kept thinking that STBXAH would have tired out and whined and bitched the whole time. Because he was soft. He was wimpy. And he never could have kept up with me, and would have ruined the trip. Which was for ME to begin with. ME ME ME. It has a nice ring. MY house. MY dogs. My Life. My decisions. MINE MINE MINE!

(I love killer heels, but am more of a sandal kind of girl. But if you can rock it, go for it! )
Old 05-18-2010, 02:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I only get walked on when I lie down.

God bless
Old 05-18-2010, 02:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

I am loving killer heels and working on my body.
I am loving feeling capable at work and doing a good job.
I am loving life and music and attending music concerts.
I am waking up early to walk on a nice park.
I am planning on a trip with Mom. I would LOVE to take her to a spa!
I am getting rid of anything that doesn't make me totally happy at home.
I am repairing and decorating.
I am very grateful with HP and being open to all the gifts coming to me.
A nice car, a fit body, health, job opportunities, and more of everything given to me so I can share and enjoy.
Because that is what life is about... JOY.... took me 28 years to realize that

ItsMeAlice, you are a wonderful person. Keep up the good work.
Old 05-18-2010, 03:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Great thread.

I was 50 years old before I learned to love that stranger called "me", warts and all.

Recovery taught me that I didn't have to be perfect ever, that just doing my best was more than good enough.

An affirmation that helped me cheer for myself was "You are a blessed child of God, worthy of love and respect."

I still tell myself that in times when I need a little boost to "get going and get living".

Yeah ME! Yeah US!
Old 05-18-2010, 11:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Wonderful posts!!

I used to always call my mom for reassurance and guidance until I understood our codependent ways were actually making matters worse. Now, I see our bond through new eyes. I seek out my reassurances within myself and have turned my relationship with my mom into the supportive friendship that I've always wanted with her.

TC, it's funny you mention taking your mom to a spa. I just recently made the same offer to MY mom. We are planning a weekend in the fall together to rejuvinate and relax. For the first time in many years, I'm actually looking forward to a trip with her.

Thanks to all for sharing your inspiration!!

Alice