I stopped

Old 05-05-2010, 11:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I stopped

Being the over-acheiving, this has to be done-even if I am so tired I want to cry kind of person I have been in the past--this was huge for me. Being the child of an alcoholic and having married 2 alcoholics--always doing for others and not for me.

I love to garden and my new house is an empty canvas. I could hire someone to come over and get the beds ready to plant however my rates are much more in tune with my budget.

Last night I started on one of the beds, digging up all the grass, cleaning it up and it felt really good. About 2/3 of the way through the job of this one bed (and there will be several) I started to get tired. I thought-well, I should finish because I have all the other beds to dig up. Then the wind blew and I took the time to listen to it as it moved through the trees and made that wonderful sound--and stopped. There was a bird in the tree behind me that started singing and I turned around, looked at the bird and said out loud (OK, I must be losing my mind--I am talking to birds now) "You're right. That's good enough for today." I put my tools in the shed, cleaned up my mess and sat under the tree listening to the wind for awhile. Then went inside and laid on the couch with my dog and read a book--and did not even feel the least bit guilty. It felt great!
Old 05-05-2010, 12:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You and I apparently share some genes. I'm really prone to work until I can hardly move and never relax - always taking responsibility for getting more done than you'd think was humanly possible.

Learning to take a break and just paying attention to yourself is priceless, and it's a great way to get to know yourself too.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

wife2kids, i too like them moments with nature in the garden,jus planted a load of veggies, enjoying pleasure, from the most simple things in life,that put you at peace..and cost nothing..theraputic i think the word is...like you,snowhite..gettin things done and enjoyin the task..is fulfilling and makes for a sleeeep eazzzzzzzzzzzzy night, after all your busy work.., its ok am not on medication honest..hehe
Old 05-05-2010, 01:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

arhh that fresh air..hmmm works wonders..oh an 10days off the booze...still runnin with major woman troubles...like ye do..on here. jus lookin to the lighter side.. heck why so serious...
Old 05-05-2010, 01:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

on you go, one bed at a time.
Old 05-05-2010, 01:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

anvil-PERFECT! I haven't listened to Bob Marley in such a long time. I forgot all about that song. I think I'll download that and play it anytime stbxah starts to quack (another bird--different song).
Old 05-05-2010, 01:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

sno--I think we do it because, well at least for me, nothing I ever did was good enough. So my little codie self just kept trying and trying and trying to make it good enough, to make it work, to fix every little thing, to get it all done. No wonder my bosses loved me so much. I always did 50% more work than anyone else. I actually prided myself on that. Yeesh.

Like Bob Marley says--don't worry, every little thing, gonna be alright. Now, we just need to make sure we believe it--that comes with giving things up to our HP.
Old 05-05-2010, 02:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

over-achiever here in the house!

I too am learning to let go and let god.

I am off today and got a text from a co-worker wanting me to cover part of her shift tonight. I texted back:
"I'm sorry about ______. I can not cover your shift tonight."

And, I'm not obsessing about who is covering the shift tonight.

We can leave the Super Woman cape in storage until Halloween!

Congratulations on enjoying your day!
Old 05-05-2010, 03:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

I'm really prone to work until I can hardly move and never relax - always taking responsibility for getting more done than you'd think was humanly possible.

Learning to take a break and just paying attention to yourself is priceless, and it's a great way to get to know yourself too.
I agree and am exactly the same way. I will literally work all night long and not go to bed until after midnight if I do not purposely STOP myself. The last couple of years I have had to teach myself and discipline myself that ALL work stops by 6PM, no matter what, and I have to start making myself wind down from the day. I get much better sleep since I have started doing this, and they are finding that sleep is much more important for our health than originally believed.

Thank you so much for sharing.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I gave my cape to Lifeline, when I realised I no longer wanted to "save" anyone anymore, just wanted to sneak under the bedclothes or sit and admire the flowers.

OK....so I didn't fit into my tights either.!!!!!

God bless
Old 05-05-2010, 06:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

After I split with my exAbf, I rebuilt like 1/2 of the interior of my house. I must say, my efforts to fix the house were more successful than those invested in fixing my exAbf.