Al-anon question

Old 04-14-2010, 08:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
LS2

Al-anon question

Hi, What does your al-anon group usually talk about?

We go through reading the steps and then it seems like the older, regulars take up most of the time sharing and talking about random things like, How their neighbor that smokes annoys them or How they are starting to down size and giving things to their kids so that there isn't a fight for things...It's just really random stuff!

Is this what Al-anon is usually about? Or did I just pick the wrong group? I live in a small town so there isn't many choices around. I did try one other one on a Sunday night and it just felt awkward.

And how do you find a sponsor?

Thanks!
Old 04-14-2010, 08:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

I've just been to three meetings. I might have been lucky, but the talk generally focused on themselves and how they're coping with life using the steps. I found the Alanon group to be more - Honest? I guess that's the word.

A's (myself included) seem to have a harder time with the honesty thingy. :-D

Sponsor - Take your time, but not too long. You'll hear someone who resonates with you. Don't let the opportunity slip by.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Hi Lindsey,

That doesn't sound like the groups I attend. I attend groups in my new community, but also attended two other groups in my old community. My old community was a tourist town, and we often had visitors from out of state pop into our meetings. They were pleased with our meetings and felt like they were at their home groups.

This is what I find at my meetings:
Reading of the 12 steps and traditions
Announcements
Chairperson announces the meeting topic (some are preselected) or asks if anyone wants to discuss a particular subject.
Example: if the topic is humility, we use the index at the back of our alanon books to look up readings on humility. The group takes turns reading the subject pages and the reader has the option to share their personal ES&H (experience, strength & hope) or to pass to the next member. This continues until we have exhausted the subject or the meeting time ends.
The closing statement is read at the end of the meeting.
Closing Prayer and then hugs!

If you are comfortable with calling or approaching one of the members, ask them if you can discuss _________, and ___________ at the future meetings. Maybe they just forgot how to share effectively.