Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

Codependent No More - Book Study: Chap. 13 - Feel Your Own Feelings

Codependent No More - Book Study: Chap. 13 - Feel Your Own Feelings

Old 04-06-2010, 08:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

Arrow Codependent No More - Book Study: Chap. 13 - Feel Your Own Feelings

Link to Previous Chapters: http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post2559627

Codependent No More:

How to Stop Controlling Others and Start Caring for Yourself

By Melodie Beattie

Book Study

CHAPTER 13 - Feel Your Own Feelings

Chapter 14 will go up Thursday Morning
Old 04-06-2010, 08:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

Synopsis (Best I could do one).

In this chapter Melodie explains that we easily lose the ability to connect with our own feelings. We begin to withdraw from other people. Afraid to be vulnerable. Afraid to rock the family boat. Sometimes we learned as children that certain emotions were inappropriate. Sometimes we don't feel because what's the use anyway? It won't change anything.

"Codependents are oppressed, depressed, and repressed." We can tell how others are feeling - why and how long. We are over concerned with how others are feeling. We try to fix their feelings. Yet, we don't know how we are feeling. Let alone how to fix our own feelings. "How important are feelings?" she asks and answers with "Feelings are not the end all and be all of living. Feelings must not dictate or control our behaviors, but we can't ignore our feelings either".

Our feelings allow us to laugh as well as cry. When we are content, they let us know all is well. When we feel anger, sadness, and the like - they are letting us know that something is going wrong. Feelings can motivate us and provide us with clues to ourselves. The darker side of emotions turn sadness into long periods of depression. Anger will turn into deep seeded resentments keeping us sick. Still, repressing emotions can cause terrible damage. We can end up dealing with them using food, addictions, gambling, compulsive spending, poor sleep habits, etc... "Feelings are energy, repressed feelings block our energy". We will also eventually lose even the good feelings.

We can lose touch with our instincts and our environment. Becoming unaware of dangers. We can't move forward if we block our feelings. We are imprisoned. So what do we do?

Melodie explains that we need to feel them. That it's okay to feel them - all of them. There's no need to feel guilty about feelings. Feelings are not "acts". "feelings shouldn't be judged as either good or bad. Feelings are emotional energy; they are not personality traits. When a feeling comes our way we should acknowledge it. Allow it to pass through. We say to ourselves "Okay".

Then, we can begin to deal with our feelings. We examine them. Then decide what the next step should be. "We evaluate the situation, then choose a behavior in line with our moral code and our new ideal of self-care." If the reaction we have decided on is in any way radical, or if we are unsure, we should try and take a couple or few days. We do not want the feelings to control us. We also need to remember that nobody can make us feel. We are responsible for our own feelings. Just as we are not responsible for the feelings of others, only that we do need to be considerate of their feelings.

She goes on to tell us that there is a relationship between how we think and how we feel and to be mindful of this. Overreactive thought patterns can lead to the darker emotions lingering past their expiration date. Discussing our feelings and thoughts with others can help this. Others can give us insight to what's really going on. She cautions that codependents in particular sometimes do not feel they deserve to have happy emotions and will sometimes crush them themselves. We need to remember that it is okay to be happy. We need the balance.

Sometimes we need therapy or other professional help if we suspect our repression has been too long and too intense. Sometimes it just takes a little more awareness on our part. Here's a few things that Melodie does to get in touch with her own emotions:

1.) Writing letters she won't send
2.) Talking to people she feels safe with
3.) Quiet Meditation

"Feel our feelings, trust our feelings, and trust ourselves. We are wiser than we think."

Activities:

1.) Read through you journal - what emotions are squeaking out and what emotions are pouring out as you wrote.

2.) Let's play the "What if" game. What if you could feel whatever you wanted right now and feeling it wouldn't make you a bad person. What would you be feeling? Write about it.

3.) Find someone who is safe, a good listener, accepting and a nonrescuer, and begin discussing your feelings. Listen to their responsive feelings without judgement or caretaking gestures. This should be nice. If you do not have anyone, join a support group.
Old 04-07-2010, 05:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

1.) Read through you journal - what emotions are squeaking out and what emotions are pouring out as you wrote.

While reading what I've written lately, I see that I'm dealing with quite a bit of fear. From growing older, feeling used up, to my youngest starting school. Uncertainty has been a big enemy of mine. Uncertainty causes anxiety. Anxiety causes a plethora of other problems, including physical ones.

2.) Let's play the "What if" game. What if you could feel whatever you wanted right now and feeling it wouldn't make you a bad person. What would you be feeling? Write about it.

I thought this one would be hard, but it just took a minute of thinking really: I'm angry at the world because it's all about me and should go MY way (of course). :-)

I'll be doing number three tonight with my sponsor.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

I'm certainly feeling my feelings today, right or wrong! It does feel good.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

3.) Find someone who is safe, a good listener, accepting and a nonrescuer, and begin discussing your feelings. Listen to their responsive feelings without judgement or caretaking gestures. This should be nice. If you do not have anyone, join a support group.

I am grateful for the people in my life. I was able to do this yesterday with a couple dear ones. I did talk to my sponsor which was very good. She's been out of commission for three weeks because of giving birth and being hormonal! So, it was nice to talk and get some stuff out. As I didn't realize I wasn't doing much of that lately. Once I started talking it felt like it was a much longer period than it was. That certainly says something.
Old 04-08-2010, 05:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I loved this chapter.
I am very slowly learning to feel things.
I have so much self help positive thinking info in my head, I tend to steamroll my feelings.
I feel sad or whatever and a voice pops up and says, "That's negative! You should feel <insert positive feeling here>!
So, I am ALLOWING.
I've noticed the last few weeks an ache/burn around my heart when I meditate. I only notice it when I pay attention (no, it's not heartburn).
I think it's just sadness.
I am allowing that, too.
As Pelican says, I try not to get stuck, but allow it all to move through me.
I adore this book.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

This is a great chapter with a great title:

Feel Your Own Feelings

How often have I been obsessed with others feelings? Too many times to count! Love the title reminding me to feel my own, personal feelings.

With that reminder, I explore this chapter as a recovering alcoholic and as a recovering codie. As an active alcoholic, I kept my feelings drowned. I kept them numbed and out of the way. Getting sober meant facing my feelings, and it is not a trip one should take unsupervised! I am thankful for support to get me through the roller coaster days.

Later, I was exposed to more new feelings when I finally accepted my codependency. I had been denying, stuffing and ignoring my feelings. What would it matter if I expressed my feelings? I felt that they didn't matter, nothing would change and I didn't have time to deal with my feelings when I was so busy anticipating others moods and reactions.

However, as Melody points out: Our feelings won't be ignored forever.
The author talks about the unhealthy aspect of repressed feelings and how they can lead to physical symptoms. I agree with that train of thought. My repressed feelings created dis-ease in my life. That dis-ease can reveal itself physically in the form of anything from abdominal pain, headaches to acne.

So much good insight in this chapter. Good stuff!
Here are some of my favorite points:
Feelings are energy.
Feelings shouldn't be judge as good or bad. Feelings are emotional energy, they are not personality traits.
Each persons feelings are his or her own
Nobody makes anyone feel, no one is ultimately responsible for our feelings except us, no matter how much we insist they are.
Only we can change the way we feel

So, how are you today? Mad, Sad, Glad or Scared?
Old 04-08-2010, 07:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

"dis-ease"

I've never heard it put that way. I like it.

Today I think I'm.... Unstable.

In general since the seperation. Full of uncertainty (fear), it's a problem because uncertainty breeds anxiety in me. Anxiety then pretty much means: Unstable!

However, it is not the same instability I had when I was very sick. It's appropriate I think! I'm aware of it and I want to work on letting it go. It's not easy to see yourself as unstable. However, it is easier if I can remember there's different levels of instability. I need to remember to ask myself if the level of instability is appropriate for the environment that was bred on? So far, I think it is.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

My resolution for the past year has been to embrace uncertainty.
Sounds scary, but I will try to explain.

If I embrace uncertainty, I am embracing the unknown. I am embracing possibilities that are unknown to me, currently. I am embracing hope for things not known or imagined.

My certainties are based on my past experiences. My past choices may have been unhealthy. I may have made choices based on fear. I may have made choices that were based on incorrect information, or denial. Therefore, if I continue to base my future choices on my past choices - I am basing my entire future on limited experience. Yet, If I open myself up to the unknown, I am open to receive limitless possibilities.

I am learning that when I want most to react strongly, I should wait.
Be patient, more will be revealed. Possibilities I had not considered in my limited - obsessive - self willed thinking, will reveal themselves.

Last year I was trying so hard to finalize a job in a major city so that I could move away from my A and start somewhere else. A major city that would put myself and my children out of our comfort zone. I was going crazy with trying to file the divorce and cement this job deal. It was not happening fast enough or smooth enough. My Alanon friend talked me down from the crazy tree. Told me to be patient, and give it a few days. Guess what? I got a call out of the blue from my account exec offering me a better job with my same company in a bigger city than I was currently in, but not Major move type of city. I just needed to transfer some papers and find a place to live. Then the divorce paperwork started to work itself out too. I hadn't considered another job being an option! I had limited myself based on my own knowledge and information.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

"My certainties are based on my past experiences. My past choices may have been unhealthy."

Thanks for that, it explains A LOT. That's why I feel so anxious about uncertainty. Because in the past it always was sure to lead into something not good (to say the least). Because of who I was. So, THIS time, with this huge wall of uncertainty right in front of me. I can learn to have a little more faith in myself. Hence, gain back my stability.

I would have NEVER came up with that. That this is based on my past experiences. The obvious eludes me!!

THANK YOU.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

<don't mind me I'm still tinkering my noggin>

So, in a situation we're faced with, we might have a completely appropriate emotional and/or state of being response. "Uncertainty" isn't an emotion, it's a state of mind. Anxiety seems to sit on the line of emotion and state of mind. Fear is the emotional state that CAN accompany uncertainty? Fear then can push the physical symptoms of just being anxious to full blown anxiety? All this fear comes from past experiences, it could almost be PTSD in my case. I swear I've been suffering from PTSD since age 10.

There's nothing wrong with being uncertain. Certainly not in my case! ;-) So, I'll take the uncertainty and try to leave the fear.
Old 04-09-2010, 06:17 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

If we follow the guidelines that Melody illustrated:
Mad
Sad
Glad
Scared

Uncertainty, Anxiety, Fear are all classified as Scared. Right?

So if your uncertainty leads to anxiety and you are throttled with fear, look within to find out what it is you are truly afraid of? Your fear is _______. Worse case scenario = _________ happens. But, I will still be okay, right? I am still me and I will be okay!

Looking at the list you posted of your fears:

Fear of growing old. Reality: The day you were born you began the process of dying. You will get old, it's just a matter of doing it with peace and wisdom.
Fear of being used up. Reality: Are you finished parenting? Are you finished sharing love? Are you finished accomplishing life goals? Nope. You will do all three today, maybe with a few ut-oh's along the way, but you are not done yet.
Fear of the youngest starting school. Reality: Grade school or college? If college (my situation) even if it means taking one class a semester for the next few years, we will do this one day at a time. If your child is starting grade school, you are both beginning a new dynamic in the mentor relationship. Your child looked to you for all of life's lessons. Now you will share that responsibility with other adults. It can be exciting to watch your child learn to read, write and communicate. Fear of loss of control? Did we really have control of that young mind? Nope.
Old 04-09-2010, 06:24 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

interesting thread.. i must remember to come back when i have more time!
Old 04-09-2010, 06:29 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

Originally Posted by Pelican View Post
If we follow the guidelines that Melody illustrated:
Mad
Sad
Glad
Scared

Uncertainty, Anxiety, Fear are all classified as Scared. Right?

So if your uncertainty leads to anxiety and you are throttled with fear, look within to find out what it is you are truly afraid of? Your fear is _______. Worse case scenario = _________ happens. But, I will still be okay, right? I am still me and I will be okay!

Looking at the list you posted of your fears:

Fear of growing old. Reality: The day you were born you began the process of dying. You will get old, it's just a matter of doing it with peace and wisdom.
Fear of being used up. Reality: Are you finished parenting? Are you finished sharing love? Are you finished accomplishing life goals? Nope. You will do all three today, maybe with a few ut-oh's along the way, but you are not done yet.
Fear of the youngest starting school. Reality: Grade school or college? If college (my situation) even if it means taking one class a semester for the next few years, we will do this one day at a time. If your child is starting grade school, you are both beginning a new dynamic in the mentor relationship. Your child looked to you for all of life's lessons. Now you will share that responsibility with other adults. It can be exciting to watch your child learn to read, write and communicate. Fear of loss of control? Did we really have control of that young mind? Nope.
Scared? - Yess!

You have a way with words. I'm seriously wondering why some people pay for therapy!
Old 04-09-2010, 02:50 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Alizerin - my mom always reminds me, "Not knowing is a high spiritual place to be" (unknowing, aka uncertainty)

if I continue to base my future choices on my past choices - I am basing my entire future on limited experience. Yet, If I open myself up to the unknown, I am open to receive limitless possibilities.

This is a lovely way of putting it! Hip hip HOORAY! The belief that there is MORE GOOD than I can conceive of out there waiting for me if I trust growth and health.

My Alanon friend talked me down from the crazy tree.

Love it! The tough stuff is NOT KNOWING you're up in the tree till you're back down again!