2 Months and Counting a Day at a Time...

Old 02-09-2010, 10:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

2 Months and Counting a Day at a Time...

Hi all,
Haven't posted in a while, been lurking and adding my 2 cents worth on other posts when I can.

Well, it's been a little over 2 months now that my AS has stayed sober. She is going to AA meetings 5-6 days a week now and has her first ever sponsor, as well as counseling a couple of times a week. We are talking like we haven't in years and she is very open about her alcoholism and not hiding from it, another first.

Though she is making strides, I realize she has a long way to go. I also have a huge trust issue as well, she has stayed sober for a while before, but this was before we made her live in shelter, before she completed rehab, before she came out and admitted her problem to all.

I'm finally getting back to feeling normal, I think I'm just about de-compressed. Between her almost dying, rehab, as well as taking care of my wife (knee replacement) and trying to work in between, my brain was mush. Dropped about 35 pounds now from working out, so I'm starting to focus on me more, which is helping.

Thanks all for your support in the past and the present, I hope I can offer words of hope and encouragment like you've offered me!
Old 02-09-2010, 10:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thirty-five pounds!! Wow!!!

Dreamstones, I've been thinking about you and hoping your AS was making some kind of progress.

Thanks so much for checking in with us.....keep us posted on how she does. It sounds like you're being realistic (hopeful but cautious) about her chances, which is great.

GL
Old 02-09-2010, 11:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks GiveLove, your support, thoughful responses and kindness always are appreciated!

Yeah, it feels good to focus on excercising, I love the Wii Fit Plus we bought, it has helped, along with diet.

Being realistic is necessary. We all learned a lot from her stay at rehab and the family counseling sessions, a lot of "dirty laundry" was aired for our whole family to work through. We all are taking it a day at a time, this is the best we can do, but she is working hard at her program, that is what is important right now.

Thanks again GL!
Old 02-09-2010, 04:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

" I realize she has a long way to go. "
Don't we all.
Often it is difficult to live in the Now. When we have fear and worry we are living in tomorrow, when we have regret we are living in yesterday.

How wonderful that your loved one is doing so well today !!
One day at a time applies to us also.
We get so accustomed to looking at what they are doing wrong.
Give yourself a break and see all that she is doing right and how much progress you've all made.

This is the perfect time to turn her life over to her and get busy focusing on your own growth, joy, projects etc. Sounds like you are doing just that.
So happy to hear your good news.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Dreamstones.
Sounds like you are doing great. Thanks for posting. Hang in there
Old 02-10-2010, 09:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks all again for your support and comments. I guess I wanted to show others that there is hope, but as has been noted, we all have to take it a day at a time!