It's been 4 days....

Old 02-03-2010, 07:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It's been 4 days....

Since my AH's last drink....

The first day, his body was in so much pain and he looked at me and said, "Baby, I have to stop....this is killing me." He literally had tears in his eyes. I could finally see my best friend without the alcohol! I can't believe the power it has over him...

I'm nervous to see if he will stick it through and quit...yesterday I could tell he was getting a little edgy about things that people don't usually get angry about.

I'm starting to understand that I have a problem as well. That my happiness does depend on someone else, and that blows! lol

I'm trying to become aware of that, and hope I can one day tackle that problem...

I know you guys probably think I'm crazy for sticking around my AH....4 and a half years tho... committed to this man...he is my best friend...HIM not the alcohol!
Old 02-03-2010, 07:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't think you are any crazier than I was sticking it out for 10 years and 2 children.

I hope he is able to stop drinking and does well.

I hope that you are able to focus on yourself and what you need, are you taking time for yourself at the moment? tell me about that
Old 02-03-2010, 07:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Ugh, this has got to be very tough to live through.

I've heard time and time again on SR not to attempt a detox without medical supervision. It could be very dangerous to your AH's health. Perhaps someone else can chime in on this topic...

Are you going to Al-Anon to get the support you need?

Sadly, though part of him is your best friend, the alcohol is also an integral part of him, or rather his love for alcohol is. Can you love and accept all parts of him, as he is today? This is the only person he's willing to be.

*hugs*
Old 02-03-2010, 08:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah I was wondering when the withdraws start to get so bad that you need to go to the hospital...

I mean I figured it would have already happened in the past 4 days, but things still seem ok...

He gets anxious quickly, and yesterday he started throwing up out of nowhere...
Old 02-03-2010, 04:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am a trained nurse. I have been with my now RABF thru dozens of withdrawals over the last 19 years, til I finally screamed out "enough" and refused him any help other than to call the ambulance.

I have heard the words
"I am killing myself",
"I can't take anymore of this",
"I have to quit drinking",
and others along the same lines.
Also seen the miserable look on his face, the tears etc, and believed him at the time.

Been shattered when, after sober time varing from 2 days to 15 months, he starts it all over again.

I hope for your sake he does get the help he says he wants, and needs, works his recovery program and all works out for you......but you are both up against the most lethal and insidious enemy you will ever face.

God Bless
Old 02-03-2010, 05:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

wow, honey, he must have quite a habit. i urge you to help him to the er, or to a detox facility. there he will be safe, get medical attention, and not be tempted to drink something to ease the pain.

if you are right now on day 4, perhaps the worst is over. but if he was throwing up blood, it could mean a tear in his esophagus or larynx i believe.

keep us posted!