Somewhat OT: Money troubles sloooowly dissolving!

Old 01-15-2010, 01:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Somewhat OT: Money troubles sloooowly dissolving!

Hello my SR family,

I know this is rather unrelated to our usual topics of discussion but I just *had* to share a small victory I achieved today, because it's been something I was dreading for several years now.

Due to my naiveté during my marriage, I put all the bills in my name, and then let XAH "take care of the bills". This translated into him putting them all off for months until they all fell into collections. DOH!

When I left and moved in with my folks, it gave me an opportunity to pay down the debts he had accumulated in my name. The largest of these was a debt to a cell company that ballooned from $1000 to almost $1900, due to various bs interest fees from two different collection agencies who tried to go after me to pay the debt.

Last week, I sent the collection agency a proposal to settle the debt for $850, including indication on my credit report that the debt is PAID. The agency called me back and I wasn't home. I avoided thinking about calling them back because I was afraid of confrontation with the collections agent. I finally just sucked it up and called. The lady I spoke to was SO NICE, and she agreed to settling the debt for $870!!!

All that will be left on my credit report is 1 already paid debt falsely reported that I am contesting. After that I just need to pay my tax arrears and student loans, and then I'm DEBT FREE! WHEEEEE!!!

Phew. Thanks for letting me pat myself on the back.
Old 01-15-2010, 01:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You show great maturity.

Congratulations!
Old 01-15-2010, 01:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Curled up in a good book...

Congrats! I'm just starting to drag myself out of a financial hole. Can't wait to get my feet clear!
Old 01-15-2010, 03:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Isn't it wonderful when you first see that light and know you aren't far from the end of that horrible dark tunnel?

I got hit with $3700 credit card debt 3 weeks after I left AH and hit the panic button.
Thank God for a friend who, noticed that the debits were put on my card AFTER I had cancelled AH's name as a card user. Still had a battle with the bank who "kindly" suggested I only pay half of it.

I stuck to my guns, as none of it was mine, (new stereo, booze, petrol, clothing and dining out bills for AH) and I insisted that as he no longer was legally able to use the card the bank never should have approved these anyway.Won that round and then had to fight for MY credit rating to stay AAA. Grrrrrrr!!!

Keep on being strong, and it will finally end for you.

God bless
Old 01-16-2010, 05:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Wonderful!

Get it in writing before you pay, and verify that it's done after you pay. Debt agencies, (like alkies), can SAY anything they want, to get you to do something (i.e., turn over cash). Make sure their actions match their words.

CLMI
Old 01-16-2010, 07:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats! I know all to well the feeling of digging out of debt. Sounds like you did the correct thing by calling the Credit Agency, although myself, all business with these creatures was done through writing/green card to give myself a paper trail. One thing I would like to point out however is that a PAID DEBT to a collection agency is still a collection agency reporting, ie. a negative. I would restructure this by renegotiating with them, telling them you will only agree to the settlement (dollar amount) if this is REMOVED from all three major bureaus. Quick question, have you asked for validation of this debt? Not verification, but validation as there is a difference. It is possible they are reporting this without ALL the specifics of the account and that would be a violation of the FDCPA, leaving them a target for legal action. I'm not suggesting you take this advice, but letting you know there are consumer protection laws to make sure everything is on the up and up. As catlovermi said, get it in writing as I truly believe CA's are worse then Alcoholics, as Alcoholics have some morals!

With all this being said, I am now doing this again as my drinking has caused an enormous hole for myself and my family. Last time credit clean up was done was to buy a house. This time it is being done to keep my house!
Old 01-16-2010, 07:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yep, I'm expecting a written notice of agreement to our arrangement by next week. After that I will be sending in a money order (so there's no link to my bank account), and then I can clear that debt off my credit report.

Don't get me wrong, I still have about 25K of tax arrears and student loans to pay, but at least I've gotten rid of the debts I was dragging because of XAH.

I dunno why but it makes me feel relieved.