I'm sure the answer is here somewhere

Old 10-13-2009, 01:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm sure the answer is here somewhere

Hello SR!
It's been some time since I've been here but I'm back with a question. I'm sure the answer is here somewhere and I've looked through the Under the Influence excerpts but can't quite find what I'm looking for.

After several stints on the sobriety wagon my mom had another relapse. She had been going strong for 9 months. My question is about how when late stage alcoholics drink it’s like they never stopped, or seem to be starting where they left off. I know that tolerance goes down in the later stages of alcoholism, but I can’t quite figure out why. Is it the liver not metabolizing correctly? And why is it that even after 9 months sober just a few sips would have such a staggering effect? I think I basically understand, but I’m looking for the outline or a clearer definition/description of this phenomenon.

Thanks
Old 10-13-2009, 01:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

There is some good information in "Under The Influence", there was another book published called "Beyond The Influence' tho I haven't read any of that particular book. My understanding, it is like they never actually stopped and the disease had progressed.
Old 10-13-2009, 01:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

At first, the liver gears up enzymes to break down more alcohol. So they can drink "more and more" and tolerate more.

There comes a point where the toxicity of the alcohol damages the liver to the point where the liver's functioning is increasingly impaired. So eventually, LESS alcohol has a dramatically GREATER effect.

CLMI
Old 10-13-2009, 01:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I read somewhere too that there is a huge psychological factor in there as well. The "feel good" result of drinking is brought back up to the surface. The writer I read likened it to seeing an old flame you had years ago. You remember the good times and ignore the pain even though you are positive it will end badly you still do it.