OT-fricken fracken modem!!!!!!!!

Old 08-02-2009, 03:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

OT-fricken fracken modem!!!!!!!!

If I disappear, it's because my DSL modem is getting ready to go belly-up. Of course the warranty expired on it two months ago. I'm going to send the 21 year old to Wichita tomorrow to pick up a new one for me.

I'd wait and have Vocational Rehabilitation buy me one, but that involves getting a 'mock' receipt from Best Buy that has to be sent to him, then he has to authorize the payment for it at Best Buy, and government agencies...well, you get the idea. I barely got my new computer in time for fall semester last year.

Calgon, take me away!!!!!!!
Old 08-02-2009, 04:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I feel your pain.

For me, if it is a day of the week that ends in a "y" .... it is a day that I am having some type of computer, modem, router, internet, virus or website problem.
Old 08-02-2009, 05:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Being Silent so I can Hear

God I love this broadband
Old 08-03-2009, 03:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Know that feeling very well. AAAARRRRHHHH!!! And it has always happened just when it was so darn important that it WORK. Gremlins are smart little @&$%#(*&'s aren't they?
Old 08-03-2009, 04:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Dev, you forgot to feed the little hamster on the wheel that keeps it running again, didn't you?!

:rotfxko
Old 08-03-2009, 04:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sorry.

I tried to "fix" my mother's computer and ended up taking it to Best Buy and spending around $140 to fix my fixes....

MisFixIt, right?
Old 08-03-2009, 12:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

(((DeVon)))

My HP (the computer one) wireless thing died last year. I called and spent HOURS on the phone with people who don't speak very good english. My warranty had also run out 2 months before. Funny thing, though..apparently it was a problem they were having with the computers and they fixed mine for free. Of course I had to send it in and do without my laptop for 2 weeks (talk about withdrawal!!!).

I'd google the modem just to make sure it isn't something that's been recalled..you never know? I didn't have a clue about mine until it broke.

I hope you get the computer running smoothly soon. I know you've got to have it for school and, of course, SR!

We have 5 or 6 computers in this house, but I won't let anyone TOUCH my laptop Well, the cats still try to walk on it, but other than that.......

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 08-03-2009, 01:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

My cat loves to walk on the laptop's keyboard! Yesterday she googled "HR" and got links. She also made the font letters larger. She probably saw me struggling to read an article LOL

IT issues suck and they suck more when YOU are the IT girl and wherever you go to friends, family they got issues and they think you know how to solve eVERYTHING.. and overseas call centers suck too, I know because I AM your overseas call center LOL

You are scolded because your native language is not American English with Southern accent (or NY accent or whatever accent depending on the person calling) and you are under time pressure and a network came down (once I was with 20 other guys as the global Accenture network had issues. We spent days solving that one) and we know the customers are angry, upset and frustrated and many treat you badly or ask for the manager who is at the same time stressed up himself, well it sucks big time for everyone involved... and I will stop my work rant that isn't helping anyone now LOL

I know nothing about DSL but I hope you are up and running soon
Old 08-04-2009, 01:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Back in business, and you wouldn't believe what I had to go through to get another modem! Got therapy in a few minutes, Amber's car is down again, so I've got to drop her off at work, go to therapy, then back to her workplace, then she can run me home, and I am going to crawl into comfy clothes, relax, and catch up!
Old 08-04-2009, 01:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Welcome back!
Old 08-04-2009, 03:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Impurrfect View Post
I'd google the modem just to make sure it isn't something that's been recalled..you never know? I didn't have a clue about mine until it broke.
Here's the deal. AT&T doesn't make the modem, they just have one they use made by someone else. They've used two styles of modems so far since I first got DSL in '05.

They were supposed to 'upgrade' to yet another modem 6-12 months ago. Best Buy still hasn't gotten anything from them.

My first modem, circa '05 shot craps in 3 weeks time. It was a freebie to me because the rebate was the same as the price of the modem. Warranty replaced that one.

Lightning took out my old computer/modem May 31st of last year. That one was on me (the modem, that is).

If this one lasts till I get a full-time position, then I'm going wireless anyway.